Turkey Sausage, spinach, mushrooms and eggs all baked together into a warm casserole, naturally gluten free and low carb!
Making an egg breakfast baked in a casserole dish is an incredibly easy way to feed a large family or when having company over. This recipe has got it all in one, protein from the eggs and turkey sausage, green veggies, and creamy goat cheese. You certainly won’t be looking for a snack in an hour after having this for breakfast. It could also be served for brinner!
If you follow my blog you know I’m a pure blooded Italian. My daddy came to America was he was 15, in fact he still has an accent! Sweet and spicy Italian sausage has been a staple growing up and while I love it, it’s quite hefty in calories and in fat. I was leery of trying turkey sausage but once I did, I was hooked. Still full of Italian flavor that I didn’t feel like I was missing out or that it was a sacrifice to wanting to eat leaner and lighter. If you’ve never tried turkey sausage this recipe is one that will surely win you over to using it more.
Many pork and even turkey sausage products have sugar of some sort in them. I used Jennie-O’s because sugar is listed as the fifth ingredient. When I purchase store bought foods that is my rule of thumb, fifth or higher. Sometimes, depending on the product, also depending on the type of sugar, if it’s listed as the fourth ingredient I might purchase it. You can’t completely avoid sugar all together nor do I have the time to make everything homemade, sausage is NOT on my must do list.
My kids weren’t crazy about the goat cheese, but they still ate it because that’s what I was serving. Picky hubby, my sister in law and I loved it. While I like my kids to enjoy their breakfast, I don’t always make everything to please them and I’m certainly not going to make multiple breakfast options for them. Take it or leave it lately has been my motto. Reheating this healthy hearty breakfast for my crazy mornings has been fabulous to say the least. 🙂
- I find goat cheese to be either loved or hated by some so a great substitution would be crumbled feta cheese or you could even eliminate it if you desire.
- Really all the veggies could be subbed. If you don’t like mushrooms try sweet peppers.
- Not a fan of spinach, try kale.
- Make it dairy free by using almond milk or rice milk and skip the cheese.
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 ounces frozen or fresh spinach
- 1 cup fresh sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk, 1%
- Optional: sprinkle of chopped scallions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet and cook onion and sausage until cooked through and onion is tender about 8-10 minutes.
- Add spinach, mushrooms,basil, salt and pepper.
- Whisk 6 eggs and milk together than pour into sausage and veggies and pour into a buttered 9 by 13 baking dish.
- Top with goat cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes until cheese is melted and eggs are fluffy.