This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Cheesy Bacon Hasselback Zucchini made on the grill or in the oven, either way it’s a crowd pleasing recipe! Keto, Low Carb, Gluten Free, Crowd Pleaser!
Low Carb Zucchini Appetizer
Ready for a Fantastic Zucchini Recipe? It’s super easy, requires just 4 ingredients and you’ve got an awesome appetizer or side with any meal! It’s an incredibly tasty crowd pleasing recipe that everyone will love, EVEN the kids. If you’re a grilling lover this is your jam, but if you prefer to bake it, it’s equally as easy and just as delicious!
I’m all about Zucchini, all the time, not just in season. These recipes require little effort and time and some are no baking at all. I’ve got my very popular Salt & Vinegar Zucchini Chips you must try, and Caprese Zucchini Noodle salad,
I made this recipe as a trial run for my family and parents one evening during the week. My parents were/are having kitchen renovations done and are without a means to cook except with the brand new convention toaster oven I bought her for Mothers Day. I invited them over, made some Crock Pot Chicken Marsala and served this as a side with salad. They raved about it. Of course the Teen boy of mine picked out the cheese and bacon and skipped the zucchini but my younger two and hubby were loving it. But my teen has eaten HIDDEN ZUCCHINI in this recipe and had no idea!
This idea came from a magazine I was reading at my moms and it showed hasselback potato. Being low carb obviously potatoes aren’t an option but zucchini is! Now granted the bacon is a bit indulgent, but in order to get my picky family to even eat zucchini I must go to extreme measures and cheese and bacon are always my weapons of choice.
I prefer gooey cheese and used white cheddar from Cabot but any favorite cheese of choice will work. Other good melty type cheeses would be Gouda or smoked Mozzarella.
Doesn’t get much better than this when you can fire up your grill and eat in the beauty outdoors.
Here’s my Super Easy Video to show you how good this looks!
This recipe was first published in May of 2015 and I decided it needed a video and brought back from the archives!
Low Carb Hasselback Zucchini
- You do not need to use parchment between the foil as I did in the video. In fact it takes twice as long to grill or bake them as opposed to using just aluminum foil to wrap. With parchment, it will take 30-40minutes until tender.
- The reason for the parchment is some people don’t want aluminum seeping into their food.
- I’ve made this recipe both in the oven and on the grill and both are equally delicious.
- First published in July 2017.
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Low Carb Cheesy Bacon Hasselback Zucchini
- 4 small zucchini weight is about 1 1/2 pounds, cut in half
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 ounces sliced Gouda Cheddar or Mozzarella
- 6 ounces uncured low sodium bacon I used Applegate
- Optional: 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F or heat your outdoor grill.
- Slice off ends of zucchini and discard.
- Make slices in zucchini crosswise but don't cut through bottom of zucchini.
- If Baking in oven, place zucchini on a foil lined baking pan.
- Brush zucchini with oil and bake 20 -25 minutes until tender.
- If Grilling: Wrap 2 pieces in foil and close tightly. Grill on medium high heat until tender but not too soft, about 15-20minutes.
- Remove from oven or grill to cool slightly.
- Cook the bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels. Once cool enough to handle, break into pieces.
- Insert a slice of cheese and piece of bacon into zucchini.
- Broil 3-5 minutes or grill covered ,with the foil packet opened, for just a minute until cheese is melted.
- Top with chives and Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Enjoy immediately.