This Sugar Free Keto Coconut Flan is dairy free, low carb and gluten free! Just 8 ingredients needed to make this fancy looking, tasty keto dessert!
My father comes from Sicily and his mother, my Nonna, made flan very often growing up. Of course it was loaded with sugar, but making it keto and low carb was a fairly easy task! This recipe got a thumbs up from my dad and he didn't even realize it was made with coconut!
A flan is really just a simple custard with a caramel sauce or syrup that oozes over the top after flipping the custard over onto a plate. Typically it's made with dairy, but in this case today it's made with coconut milk for a creamy texture and only a slight hint of coconut.
Does the thought of making a flan sound just too tedious of a task or too fancy or just too much work for you? It's not at all difficult when you have a fantastic fool proof recipe! Take the worry out of the equation of whether the flan will come out looking beautiful or not because this recipe will make that happen effortlessly.
Sugar Free Caramel Sauce
The caramel sauce uses a brown sugar substitute from the brand Swerve and butter, but to keep it dairy free just replace the butter with coconut oil instead.
My kids and hubby absolutely loved this dessert! My youngest actually even hates coconut, but the hint of coconut is very little, he even asked for a second piece!
Tools to Make Keto Coconut Flan
10 inch Pie Dish- Any smaller pie dish and you'll be overflowing with this flan recipe. Stick with a 10 inch and you'll be all set!
Small Sauce Pan- Use as a double boiling pan or just to make simple sauces like the topping for this flan recipe.
Roasting Pan- A large turkey roasting pan is needed to bake any kind of cheesecakes or in this recipe, flan, to evenly cook in a water bath.
Dairy Free Coconut Flan
Although this isn't a typical weeknight kind of dessert it is a wonderful indulgence once in awhile for wow-ing non low carb guests at a party!
Sugar Free Keto Coconut Flan (Dairy Free, Low Carb)
Sugar Free Keto Coconut Flan
- ½ cup Swerve Brown substitute or another brown sugar free sweetener of choice
- 2 tablespoon butter or use ghee or vegan butter for dairy free
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer, mix the eggs, yolks, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and stevia until well combined. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan add the Caramel sauce ingredients and stir until combined over medium low heat, until bubbles form around the edges. Simmer one minute, then pour into a 10 inch pie dish, cake pan or 10 individual ramekins. Swirl around to cover bottom of dish. Let sauce cool just 1-2 minutes before pouring the custard mixture over the caramel sauce.
- Place the pie dish into a larger roasting pan and place in the oven. Pour 2 cups of hot water on the bottom of the larger roasting pan so the hot water comes 1-2 inches up the sides of the pie dish.
- Bake 1 hour or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool to room temperature then refrigerate for two hours or overnight. When ready to serve, loosen edges with a knife and invert onto a large plate. Sometimes erythritol can develop crystallization in the refrigerator. If that happens after you invert the flan onto a plate, simply remove can crystallized pieces from the caramel sauce. Enjoy or keep refrigerated until ready to serve.