You are probably thinking to yourself....not another recipe using canned creamed soups!!
Nope, this does not include canned cream of anything! Although I'm not completely opposed to using them since I certainly have used them in recipes. But I know many a health conscious person prefers to avoid them due to the preservatives and sodium in them. SO I ventured on my own to make a creamy meatball recipe in the crock pot because my kids just don't particular prefer tomato saucy meals.
Here's my own creamy sauce version that I think will delight you and your family, especially over some delicious pasta! (My preference is brown rice pasta!!!)
I have the nutrition info in case you decide to use ground beef instead of turkey. I like them either way, still incredibly delicious, but turkey of course is less fattening.
This recipe makes 20 good size meatballs. Nutrition info is for one meatball with 2 tbsp. of sauce.
Calories: 119* Fat: 4g* Cholesterol: 39mg* Sodium: 144mg* Fiber: 1g* Carbs: 9g* Sugars: 1g* Protein:10g* Points+: 3*
Creamy Crock Pot Meatballs
- 1 ½ pounds 95% lean ground beef
- ½ c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- ½ c. whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. Italian seasonings
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour is fine too.
- 1 cup lite sour cream
- 2 cups beef broth
- (optional) fresh, chopped parsley
- Mix together all ingredients in a bowl, except sour cream, whole wheat flour and broth. Make 20 meatballs and set aside.
- In another bowl stir together sour cream and broth and pour half of that mixture on the bottom of your crock pot. Reserve the rest of the broth mixture in the refrigerator until the last hour of cooking.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours until meatballs are cooked through.
- Add the whole wheat flour to the reserved broth mixture in a sauce pan over medium heat until the sauce thickens. Pour this over the meatballs and cook an additional ½-1 hour. Sprinkle with some fresh parsley and enjoy over pasta!
*This recipe has been adapted to Gluten Free: Creamy Crock Pot Turkey Meatballs.
Just wondering if anyone has tried freezing the uncooked meatballs and how much time would need to be added to the cook time?
I'm off this week so will try these tomorrow, made the banana
Bread today!! Then looking for Chili recipe!!
These look delish! I have a friend who is trying to avoid regular flours. I wonder if a nut flour would work? Wondering what your thoughts are on this.
I bet it would be fine although I've not tried it. How about oat flour, that might be the better choice.
My husband and I had company over the other day and I was looking for something different and tasty to make. So, of course, I came to your website and made these meatballs! A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! My guests loved this dish (served over brown rice) and raved abou it all night! They asked for the recipe and of course, had to give props to Brenda!
I'm so glad you were confident enough in my recipes to try this new one for you with guests!! That's fantastic!
I will definitely be trying this recipe out. It looks fantastic. The only thing is that I will have to cut out all the dairy because of allergies. I figured maybe using Rice or Diaya cheeses and maybe a splash of almond milk to give it that creamy look and thin out the cheeses a little if need be.
I will be making these for sure! I'm so glad you told me about them. I know the whole family will gobble them up!
Love the recipe and the website. Although I am curious what you used for a serving portion size and if that included the pasta or not?
The nutrition info is just for one meatball and 2 tbsp of sauce, pasta not included.
Yum! those look and sound delicious! We just had meatballs last night. but they were done in the oven. When my kids were all little, they called them meatbobs!
Thanks for sharing the recipe!