Crispy Parmesan Tomato Chips made in your oven or dehydrator!
Tomato season is upon us where I live and if you happen to have a garden then you know an enormous amount of tomatoes will be upon your counter waiting for you to do something with them. My hubby is the gardener in the family. I don't have a green thumb whatsoever. In fact plants come into my house to die. I've just no luck in watering enough or sometimes too much. It's not my thing and my hubby is perfectly happy to get his hands dirty in the soil.
What I do love though is to harvest his hard work. Then I get to create recipes using our fresh organic produce.
Win for me and him I guess you could say.
If you've followed me long enough you know I'm quite the chip girl. I like crunchy and salty and enjoy getting my fix weekly on healthier options than potato chips. My usual choice is zucchini or cucumber chips but once I held in my hands these giant juicy beef steak tomatoes I KNEW I HAD to make them into tasty chips even if no one else would eat I certainly would. My kids aren't tomato fans but hubby and I are.
Perfect amount of Parmesan and seasonings on every.single.chip.
I think the bigger tomato the better for this recipe. But just note if you use smaller ones they will shrink quite a bit. I chose NOT to use a mandolin because if you do the thinner the tomato slices are the more holes they will have therefore losing a lot of the seasonings and I don't think they look as pretty.
Plus I just like thicker chips. Enjoy!
Crispy Parmesan Tomato Chips
- Gently drizzle and toss the sliced tomatoes in the olive oil to coat slices.
- Place slices without overlapping onto dehydrator shelves or a baking pan.
- If you are baking preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- In a small bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients.
- Sprinkle mixture over each slice.
- Depending on how thick the slices of tomato are, dehydrating could take anywhere from 12-24 hours.
- If baking check every 30 minutes until edges show some charring, could take 4-5 hours.
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 3