I love sweet potatoes! In fact I've loved them so much when I was pregnant with my daughter and eating one a day, that she came out with an orange TINT on her skin, no lie! Friends can attest to it!!
I have no idea why I love them so much, I just simply do! They are super healthy and a nice break from the standard white potato.
Here are some healthy facts about the sweet potato in case you're not so crazy about them. This might win you over!
A medium sweet potato:
- contains over 400 percent of the daily value for vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene.
has 22mg of vitamin C.
15% of daily recommended value for potassium.
4 g of Fiber.
and 16% of daily recommended value of vitamin B-6.
Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/297519-sweet-potato-nutrition-data/#ixzz1f74pwNMc
Maybe you've only had them covered and smothered in brown sugar and marshmallows, or maybe you just never had them. I was inspired to make them this way when I saw a crispy sweet potato recipe over at Simply Sugar & Gluten Free. I didn't have any fresh thyme or shallots but they came out just as good I think!
Just try them I say! You may just fall in love this with delicious, nutritious veggie!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peal potatoes and slice them thin. Arrange them vertically against each other in a casserole dish.
- Spray the inside of the baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine butter and oil together and brush over the potatoes. Sprinkle garlic salt, salt and pepper.
- Bake for an hour and 15 minutes or until a fork can be easily inserted in one slice.
Another recipe you might like: Sweet Potato & Apple Bake