Our sugar-free, low-carb, recipe today is a classic keto cake made into easy bite-sized bars. These Easy Keto Lemon Pound Cake Bars are perfect for Easter, breakfast or a healthy anytime keto treat.
LEMON POUND CAKE
The traditional pound cake got its name for the very fact it uses a pound each of flour, eggs, butter and sugar. Pound cakes are usually baked in a loaf or bundt pan and finished with a dusting of confectioners sugar, but today of course, we are making a sugar-free, keto pound cake! By removing sugar and white flour from the traditional recipe, we turn a very high carb pound cake into a fabulous low-carb keto cake that everyone will love, even the non-keto family and friends!
SUGAR FREE KETO SWEETENERS
One of our newer favorite low carb sweeteners that doesn't leave an aftertaste, is Better than Sugar by Sweetleaf. They have a confectioners powdered sweetener which would be best for this recipe and they also have a granulated option. It's a combination of erythritol and stevia and has plenty of sweetness as sugar would provide. Swerve confectioners sweetener is also low carb, but doesn't have as much sweetness and you may need to use a bit more to get this as sweet as you like. Allulose would be another option, but again it isn't as sweet as using the Better than Sugar sweetener. Allulose comes in a liquid, and granulated form which would be best for this keto pound cake.
CAN YOU SWAP OUT THE DAIRY?
Yes you absolutely can swap out the dairy used in this recipe for non dairy options. Butter can be swapped for coconut oil, or vegan butter or ghee if you can tolerate clarified butter that has very little lactose in it. You can swap the yogurt used in this beautiful keto pound cake for canned coconut cream or coconut yogurt or almond yogurt.
CAN YOU SWAP ALMOND FLOUR?
Yes! If you need to swap out the almond flour, a great nut free alternative is using sesame flour. If after blending, the batter is still quite wet, add a but more to get the texture the consistency of cake batter. Sunflower seed flour could be used, but the baking soda will cause a chemical reaction due to the chlorophyl in the seeds causing a green tint to your baked goods. Remove the baking soda if using sunflower seed flour to avoid that greenish color.
LOW CARB KETO MEAL PLANS
Our membership is simple. You can subscribe for a month to try it out or you can subscribe for a yearly membership. Each Friday you will get a meal plan that comes to your email. You'll have that early in order to go food shopping before the meal plan begins on Sunday. You will be able to view and print the meal plan and the shopping list. If you don't like a meal, simply delete it and swap it with another meal you like. The shopping list will automatically adjust. It's the best software available out there for a customizable menu plan. Not many other low carb or keto meal plans allow you the option to remove, add, start with a blank menu and create your own if you so wish.
You can choose from Three Meal Plan Options:
Low Carb Meal Plan includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks with 40 net grams of carbs or less per day.
Keto Meal Plan includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks with 20 net grams of carbs or less per day.
Intermittent Fasting Keto Meal Plan includes 2 meals per day plus one protein/fat rich snack daily with no more than 20 TOTAL carbs per day.
EASY KETO LEMON POUND CAKE
Easy Keto Lemon Pound Cake Bars
- 3.5 tablespoons butter melted (or 50g)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 4 large eggs divided
- ¼ cup Plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (apx. juice from 1.5 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (apx, zest from 1 lemon)
- 1.5 cups almond flour (or 150g)
- ¼ cup coconut flour (or 30g)
- 120 grams Swerve confectioners (½ cup plus 2 tablespoon) (or Better than Sugar confectioners or low-carb sweetener of choice)
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder aluminum-free
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 355F / 180C / 160 fan.
- Add the butter and almond milk to a pan and simmer until slightly warm (don’t allow it to boil). (Option to microwave if you prefer). Allow to cool for 1 minute and add the egg yolks, yogurt, vanilla and lemon juice. Whisk with a hand balloon whisk to combine.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a clean mixing bowl and stir.
- Add in the egg yolk mix and whisk with the electric whisk until combined.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean mixing bowl using an electric whisk until thick and stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites through the lemon pound cake batter, or lightly beat with an electric whisk until smooth. Try not to over whisk so that batter doesn’t deflate.
- Spoon the mixture into a grease proof lined tray (4 by 8 in) and bake for about 40 minutes or until you can insert and remove a skewer without crumbs sticking. Note: After 30 minutes loosely cover with a sheet of tin foil (don’t seal around the tray) this will prevent the top over browning whilst the cake continues to cook and firm up.
- Remove the tin foil and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tray and then on a wire rack before slicing. Note: These easy Keto Lemon Pound Cake Bars will firm up when cooled so try not to over-bake.
- Storage: Tupperware in the fridge for up to 5 days