It's Share the Love Healthy Recipes Week here at Sugar-Free Mom! Today we have Laura of Gluten Free Pantry sharing a yummy gluten free cookie for you!
Want to give your sweetheart a special treat for Valentine's Day? These roll out cookies are the perfect dessert to share with a loved one...or even to treat yourself! Not only are the cookies delicious, but they are packed with protein rich coconut flour which makes them the perfect texture--moist and chewy.
Another benefit of these sweet treats? They contain flaxseed meal which is rich in dietary fiber and Omega 3 fatty acids as well as pure cocoa powder which is a fantastic source of antioxidants. So go ahead and enjoy!
Ingredients for Cookies:
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ⅔ cup Spectrum non-hydrogenated shortening (I found mine for $5 at my local grocery store in the baking section)
- ⅔ cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoon flaxseed meal (place in small bowl with 4 tablespoon water)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
(Optional) Ingredients for Chocolate Frosting:
- ⅔ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup honey
- Combine the flours, cornstarch, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and mix well.
- Next add in the shortening, milk, oil, honey, flaxseed meal, and vanilla.
- Mix all ingredients together with an electric mixer for 5 minutes.
- Knead the dough into a large ball and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place parchment paper on a table or counter top. Remove dough from refrigerator and roll dough to a ½ inch thickness.
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut the dough and place the cutout dough on cookie sheets that are lined with parchment paper.
- Bake on the top rack in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove and let the cookies cool for 10 minutes.
To make the optional chocolate frosting, first place the coconut oil in a small pan over low heat. After the coconut oil melts, add in the cocoa powder and honey. Stir and let mixture completely melt for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sauce cool for 15 minutes. Use a spatula to frost the cookies.
You can also use sugar-free sprinkles to decorate the cookies. We did both! My husband and daughter ate the chocolate frosted cookies before I could even take a picture of them!
Makes approximately 24 cookies.
Happy Valentine's Day from my family to yours!
Laura is a gluten-free Food Blogger and mother of two young kids. She is a Nutritionist who shares recipes and nutrition tidbits on her site Gluten Free Pantry. Laura strives to feed her family healthy food without sacrificing flavor or taste.