This delicious keto chicken kiev recipe is low carb, gluten free, nut free and perfect for any weeknight or weekend meal for the family!
What is Chicken Kiev?
Chicken kiev is a dish made from thinly, pounded chicken breast rolled and stuffed with a nugget of butter and herbs then coated with eggs and breadcrumbs. It can be a bit time consuming, but well worth the effort to make it on a weekend entertaining friends and family. It's especially nice for a change when you're sick and tired of boring chicken breasts, this definitely ups your chicken game!
How to Make Chicken Kiev Low Carb
It's really simple to make chicken kiev low carb when all you really need to change is the outer breadcrumbs that are typically used for this recipe. The chicken breast gets pounded thinly then slit open in the center of each breast. Making the herbed butter is quite easy as well using fresh herbs and delicious grass-fed butter mixed together. Whey protein powder and parmesan makes for the crispy outer coating you see in these pictures. You will just fry these for a few minutes in avocado oil to give them some brown color then finish cooking in the oven. Add a delicious side ofmashed cauliflower and you've got a fantastic keto, low carb chicken dinner!
Tools to Make Chicken Kiev
Cutting Board-Having more than one size cutting board is ideal as well as being able to clean this in your dishwasher.
Chef Knife- Every home chef needs a fabulous knife to make working in the kitchen at home a breeze!
Large Frying Pan- I love Rachel Ray's collection of frying pans with awesome handles and a nonstick surface.
Parchment paper-Makes clean up a so easy!
Baking Pan- Again, Rachel Rays baking pans in different sizes are my favorites.
Low Carb and Keto Meal Planning
Our membership is simple. You can subscribe for a month to try it out or you can subscribe for a yearly membership. Each Friday you will get a meal plan that comes to your email. You'll have that early in order to go food shopping before the meal plan begins on Sunday. You will be able to view and print the meal plan and the shopping list. If you don't like a meal, simply delete it and swap it with another meal you like. The shopping list will automatically adjust. It's the best software available out there for a customizable menu plan. Not many other low carb or keto meal plans allow you the option to remove, add, start with a blank menu and create your own if you so wish. Learn More about our meal plans!
Other chicken recipes you might like:
- Chicken Mushroom Casserole
- Chicken Burgers
- Chicken Nuggets
- Chicken Meatballs
- Chicken Pad Thai
- Chicken Pho
- Cream of Chicken Soup
Keto Low Carb Chicken Kiev
Keto Chicken Kiev (Low Carb, Gluten Free, Nut Free)
- 24 ounces chicken breasts or (600g) or 4 breasts about 6 ounces each
- 1- ¼ cups whey protein unflavored
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan (20g)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 pinch paprika optional
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup avocado olive oil For frying
Parsley Garlic Butter
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter room temp
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped (8g)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place all the butter ingredients in a bowl and whisk with a fork to combine. Option to use a stick blender. Chill in fridge while you prepare the chicken.
- Add the chicken breasts to a chopping board. Make a deep pocket in the thick end of each breast using a sharp knife, about half way into the fillet. Careful not to cut through or the butter will leak.
- Split the butter into 4 and push equal amounts into each pocket. Seal with your hands.
- Add the whey, parmesan and seasoning to a large shallow bowl. Add the eggs to another. Dip each breast in the egg then the whey, repeating so each Kiev has a double coating. (This ensures the kievs are juicy on the inside and crisp on the outside. Keep any spare whey mix to one side.)
- Place on a parchment lined baking tray and chill in the fridge for 1 hour. If you find the whey has absorbed into the egg a little after chilling, just sprinkle with a little more whey mix before frying.
- Preheat the oven to 350F / 180C / 160 fan.
- Heat the oil in a large non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the kievs for 2 - 3 minutes each side or until golden - watch so the batter doesn’t burn. Cook two at a time to avoid overcrowding and uneven cooking.
- Transfer to a baking tray and cook in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Season with optional salt, lemon and parsley to serve.
- Storage: Best fresh or refrigerate for one day, but the crumb and filling may be different.