This quick and easy Keto Low- Carb Mexican Cauliflower Rice is a perfect side dish with any entree!
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
Cauliflower rice is a favorite keto friendly, low carb veggie that makes it super versatile to work with for many keto recipes. You can transform cauliflower into pretty much anything! I've turned cauliflower into thin crust keto pizza and even Deep Dish Pizza. I've made it into "bread" sticks and have some wonderful keto "rice" salads as well, like my antipasto rice salad and my mock potato salad.
Making cauliflower rice is super easy to do at home with a great food processor, but now you can even find fresh cauliflower rice already prepared at your local market. I highly suggest to avoid using frozen pre-made cauliflower rice as it has a lot of moisture and is very watery, so you will need to squeeze it out before using. It's much easier to just buy a nice head of cauliflower and cut off the stems, use only the florets and place into a food processor. If you don't have a food processor, you can use a cheese grater to create rice-sized pieces from the florets.
Mexican Cauliflower Rice
Mexican rice, also known as Spanish rice, is a Mexican side dish that combines white rice with tomato, garlic and onions, sautéing it all in oil or fat. Turning this easy dish into a low carb rice recipe was of course super easy when you just swap out the white rice for cauliflower rice. All the flavors is really what makes it have that authentic Mexican taste and I really don't think you'll miss the white rice in this recipe.
Tools to Make Cauliflower Rice
Food Processor-Using a food processor to make cauliflower rice is quick, easy and efficient. I prefer to purchase a fresh organic head of cauliflower, but you can also skip this step if you buy it already riced.
Cast Iron Skillet-My favorite pan to use for just about all things in my keto kitchen. Sears beautifully, crisps up my Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie Pie recipe so well around the edges, and just adds a delicious flavor to all veggies when stir fried in this pan, for this recipe and also my Quick Skillet Lasagna.
Keto Low Carb Mexican Cauliflower Rice
Low-Carb Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- 24 ounces cauliflower florets only (700g)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (or avocado oil, butter or ghee)
- 1 ounce red onion diced (30g)
- 2 ounces red bell pepper diced (60g)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3.5 ounces tomato (or 2-3 Roma tomatoes), chopped (100g)
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (for drizzling on top after cooking) (30ml)
- 2 tablespoon cilantro (or parsley) (to garnish) (8g)
- Optional: lime wedges to serve
- Using the S blade in a food processor, blitz the cauliflower florets into rice. (Skip this step if using already riced cauliflower)
- Heat the oil, butter or ghee in a non stick or cast iron frying pan.
- Add the diced onion and peppers and fry for 2 - 3 minutes on a medium heat until soft and the onions are translucent. Add the garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the cauliflower rice and cook for a further 5 - 6 minutes until al dente. Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, seasoning and spices and sauté for about 1 more minute until combined.
- Serve by drizzling 2 tablespoon olive oil and chopped fresh cilantro or parsley. Optional, serve with lime wedges.
- Storage: Airtight Tupperware in the fridge for up to 3 days
Jo is the creative food photographer and stylist behind the healthy eating blog, Modern Food Stories. Jo's a testament that once you find the right approach for you, you can overcome chronic illness through the healing power of food. She believes the secret to radiant health starts and ends with a healthy gut so all her recipes are grain, gluten and refined sugar free. Many are also dairy-free.