Loaded Mashed Cheesy Pancetta Cauliflower is a low carb side dish that even non low carb fans will enjoy!
Cheese and bacon.
Bacon and cheese.
Can’t have one without the other it seems.
At least in most epic recipes that make you drool, they are the stars of the dish and this one is no exception.
When you hear the word ‘loaded’ what do you think?
Loaded with calories?
Loaded with goodness?
Maybe loaded is a dirty word for some, that is, if you are into your New Year’s Resolution at full force.
And maybe you think you can’t possibly indulge in this recipe because it’s ‘loaded’.
But I say quite the contrary, you most certainly can.
Sure it has some cheese and bacon and sure you need to watch the portion control.
BUT this is low in carbs using cauliflower and making this your newest, most favorite side dish for any meal.
I pulled off the unthinkable in my Italian household.
I made this as a side for Christmas day along with my mom’s prime rib!
And the only one who knew it was made with cauliflower was the hubby and he didn’t tell!
AND they all ate it up.
The Picky Hubby.
My Italian father who comes from Rome and doesn’t even like mashed anything.
And they all loved it.
So whether you tell them what inside or not, just be sure to tell them AFTER they try it.
- You can use frozen cauliflower if you don’t have fresh on hand. Just steam as you would with fresh florets and continue with recipe as follows.
- If you don’t have pancetta, just use regular uncured, nitrate free bacon.
- You could use any cheeses you like. Not a fan of gruyere, try gouda or smoked mozzarella.
- Not sure about the differences between sugar free versus low carb, check out this post for more info.
- Are you unsure about all the sugar free sweetener options and what is the difference between sugar free versus low carb? Here’s what you’ll see shared on my blog as well. If you’re all ready a sugar free fan, but need a little guidance in converting some recipes to sugar free, this post about all the differences with stevia plus a conversion chart might help you.
- And last if you’re ready to start the New Year, but need a little more help and guidance you can check out my Sugar Detox Plan and well as my Cookbook for more helpful recipes.
- You can subscribe for free by email so you won’t ever miss any recipes I share on social media and just for subscribing you receive a FREE recipe from my Cookbook!
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Loaded Mashed Cheesy Pancetta Cauliflower
- 32 ounces cauliflower or 2 pounds
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 8 ounces pancetta diced
- 8 ounces smoked gruyere
- 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese divided
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
Cut off stems of cauliflower and steam florets until tender.
Place in a food processor and add butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Process until smooth, no lumps.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cook pancetta in a saute pan over medium high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towel.
Place pureed cauliflower in a bowl and stir in half of each kind of cheese. Save remaining cheese for topping.
Stir in pancetta, save some pieces for topping.
Stir in scallions and save some to sprinkle on top when serving.
Grease pan with olive oil cooking spray.
Spread mixture evenly into dish.
Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top of the mixture.
Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbling on the edges.
Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Sprinkle with extra pancetta and scallions before serving.
Net Carbs: 1.9g