This exquisite looking low carb ratatouille recipe is easier than you think and oh so tasty!
What is Ratatouille?
Ratatouille is a stewed vegetable dish, a specialty of Nice, France and the Provence region. It typically has eggplant, tomatoes, onion, peppers, zucchini, garlic and of course herbs de Provence. The word ratatouille comes from the French term "touiller," which means to toss food. It can be served hot out of the oven, room temperature or even cold. Use it as an easy side dish, appetizer or add it to a charcuterie platter or even as an addition to a salad. Typically it is a stewed dish made on the stove, but my version is baked, presented beautifully in a cast iron skillet and just as delicious as a stewed version.
Versatile Ratatouille Recipe
My low carb version in this recipe eliminates the eggplant and peppers, specifically because I have to avoid histamine foods. While you can see tomatoes here, which is also a histamine rich food, I simply removed it from my plate when I served it. Feel free to add eggplant slices as well as bell peppers to your version. Some versions of ratatouille also add some tomato sauce at the bottom of the dish before layering the vegetables.
We were recently on a Mediterranean cruise with my family, parents and brother and visited Cannes, Marseille and Sete, France as well as Rome, Naples, Florence and Sicily Italy, Malta and Barcelona, Spain! It was amazing to see 4 different countries in 10 days! I've not yet written about our trip and what I ate, but I will very soon. I was very surprised I enjoyed France as much as I did, because I'm an Italian raised by my dad who comes from Rome. It was an amazing experience to see and enjoy so many different cultures. This recipe was inspired by my trip. I hope you enjoy it!
If you love recipes like this for yourself and family, you might be interested in my meal planning membership. Weekly low carb keto dinner meal plan sent to your inbox every Friday with shopping list. The best part about my meal planning feature is that if you aren't interested in one of the dinner meals you can swap it out for something else! You can even change serving sizes and the shopping list will adjust! It pretty amazing software and I hope you'll take advantage of it. You can have a sustainable low carb/keto lifestyle when you're well prepared and planning meals is the key! LEARN MORE TODAY!
Low Carb Ratatouille
- 8 ounces zucchini
- 8 ounces yellow summer squash
- 8 ounces red onion
- 12 ounces Roma tomato
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- optional: grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice the zucchini, squash, onion and tomato about ⅛-1/4 inch slices. Set aside.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of oil into a 9 inch cast iron skillet or round pie dish. Layer the slices of vegetables in a spiral around the skillet.
- Mix the remaining oil and garlic together then brush over the layers of vegetables. Sprinkle with herbs de provence, salt and pepper and bake for 40-45 minutes until the vegetbles look softened and are fork tender.
- Sprinkle optional grated parmesan over the top once out of the oven before serving if desired. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.