Creamy Lemony Faux Risotto made low carb with cauliflower rice!
When you think of creamy risotto I’m sure cauliflower doesn’t come to mind, but stick with me on this for a minute. Cauliflower rice is the perfect sub for the “creaminess” of typical risotto. All you need is that cream to stick to something. Does it really matter if it’s traditional rice or cauliflower rice? Not in my mind, but you can let your mouth decide.
If you’ve never tried cauliflower rice, this recipe just might win you over.
The pros and cons of my low carb version of risotto versus traditional risotto:
- It’s a whole lot quicker, think 15 minutes tops!
- It’s just as creamy!
- It’s low carb, just 5.2 net carbs per serving!
- It’s lower in calories too!
- Plus you might even get your kids to try it and they will never notice it’s cauliflower!
- I’ll skip the cons because there really isn’t anything bad to say about this healthy dish. Except of course, it’s lighter in texture than hefty rice and if you don’t mind that then you’ll love this recipe!
You might also be surprised there isn’t any cream in this recipe. Using Italian cream cheese makes this super delicious and well worth the price of the cream cheese. Typical cream cheese will still work but, not as creamy in my opinion.
- You can use cream cheese if you don’t have mascarpone but mascarpone is better!
- You can replace the shallots with regular onion but shallots are milder.
- Serve on the side of any main dish or throw some protein in it and make it a lunch or dinner.
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Low Carb Creamy Lemony Faux Risotto
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 8 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 lemon zested and juice about 3 tbsp
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan reggiano
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
Heat oil, shallots and garlic in a large skillet until shallots are tender.
Place cauliflower florets in food processor and pulse until resembles rice.
Add cauliflower rice to skillet and season with slat and pepper.
Pour in broth and bring to a boil.
Cook about 5 minutes then turn heat to low.
Stir in lemon juice, zest and mascarpone cheese.
Once mascarpone is incorporated add Parmesan and basil.
Makes 6 cups total.