This low carb keto chicken piccata recipe is just as fabulous as any higher carb chicken piccata you've ever had! It's gluten free, keto, nut free and the incredible flavors create a burst of joy in your mouth!
LOW CARB CHICKEN PICCATA
Chicken piccata is a family favorite recipe that goes on repeat often in our home. The family just can't get enough of this tender, perfectly browned chicken breast covered in a lemony, garlicky, buttery sauce and topped with capers and fresh parsley!
While chicken piccata has a few steps and does take some time in the kitchen, it is well worth the effort spent for a wonderful, kid- friendly recipe. Even the non-low carb family in your life will have no idea this isn't made with traditional bread crumbs. My incredible keto breading is just as good as any higher carb breading so no one will be questioning if this is low carb or not.
KETO BREADING (NUT FREE)
My keto breading is featured in my cookbook, Naturally Keto, and combines crushed pork rinds with seasonings and whey protein powder. With the right portions of both, you end up with a fool proof breading that works for coating chicken, pork, any protein really. I've used this breading for my easy keto skillet chicken parmesan , my veal parmesan recipe as well as my Air Fryer Keto Mozzarella Sticks and now this Keto Chicken Piccata recipe! It's very versatile!
KETO CHICKEN PICCATA SIDES
Some of the best keto side dishes are ones that are quick and easy to pull together when a main entree takes a bit more time than you expected. I've got a bunch of easy keto side dishes like that but for this keto chicken piccata recipe, I've picked a few here that I think would qualify as the best fit. If you're a fan of zucchini, delicious zucchini noodles, would be a great choice with this chicken piccata since the wonderful sauce would be perfect over the zucchini noodles. Shirataki miracle pasta, is also a good option, just be sure to rinse well and squeeze out as much water as possible before heating and using. Even cauliflower rice is another low carb side that would work well with this recipe. You could also just add a delicious salad with this chicken and all it a day!
LOW CARB KETO MEAL PLANS
If you love recipes like this for yourself and family, you might be interested in my meal planning membership. Weekly low carb keto dinner meal plan sent to your inbox every Friday with shopping list. The best part about my meal planning feature is that if you aren't interested in one of the dinner meals you can swap it out for something else! You can even change serving sizes and the shopping list will adjust! It pretty amazing software and I hope you'll take advantage of it. You can have a sustainable low carb/keto lifestyle when you're well prepared and planning meals is the key! LEARN MORE TODAY!
LOW CARB KETO CHICKEN PICCATA
Low Carb Keto Chicken Piccata
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (8 thinly sliced pieces)
- ½ cup unflavored whey protein powder
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup capers
- 2 tablespoons butter
Avocado or coconut oil to fry
Fresh chopped parsley to serve
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and slice the chicken breast halves horizontally, butterflying them open. If the pieces are still thick after butterflying, put them between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound them with a meat hammer to ¼-inch thickness. Set these aside to prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Place all the keto breading ingredients in another shallow bowl and whisk together.
- Dredge the chicken in the breading mixture on both sides and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add about 4 tablespoons of your choice of oil. Once the oil is hot, add 4 breasts to the pan or as many as you can fit without overlapping. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until chicken is nicely browned then flip over and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Remove chicken and cover to keep warm. Add 4 more tablespoons of oil and fry the remaining chicken in the same way.
- Add all the sauce ingredients to the skillet, except the butter. Use a spatula to scrape all the browned bits. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce is reduced by half. Add butter to the sauce.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and spoon the sauce over each piece. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with any of the sides mentioned above.
- Store any left overs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Have made this, so good! I added some halved cherry tomatoes, black olives and some artichoke hearts cut to size of tomatoes. Added them to step #5. And proceeded to enjoy!
Great additions, thanks for sharing!