These beautiful Stuffed Peppers are filled with Mediterranean flavors and cauliflower rice, making them a delicious low carb keto friendly and vegetarian meal!
Different varieties of stuffed peppers with all kinds of fillings and flavors can be found all around the world. Typically stuffed peppers are hollowed or halved peppers, filled with beef, chicken, turkey or just vegetables. Often there is white rice included along with some sort of sauce or cheese. Making stuffed peppers low carb and keto is very easy to do when you swap the white rice for cauliflower rice.
This version today is a vegetarian stuffed pepper but you can certainly add ground beef, chicken or turkey if you prefer. It's a very versatile recipe!
Cauliflower rice is the most fantastic ingredient! You can really use it in so many ways! I've got some fantastic recipes using cauliflower I think you'll love! Antipasto Cauliflower Rice Salad, Keto Cauliflower Pizza, Cheeseburger Cauliflower Casserole, Kimchi Fried Cauliflower Rice, and Deep Dish Cauliflower Pizza and I even have a Cauliflower Tater Tot recipe!
This is the perfect recipe to make this summer. If you’re cranking out the BBQ, these would look so pretty on the buffet and whether your guests are low-carb or not, these keto stuffed peppers will be enjoyed by everyone.
If you love recipes like this for yourself and family, you might be interested in my meal planning membership. Weekly low carb keto dinner meal plan sent to your inbox every Friday with shopping list. The best part about my meal planning feature is that if you aren't interested in one of the dinner meals you can swap it out for something else! You can even change serving sizes and the shopping list will adjust! It pretty amazing software and I hope you'll take advantage of it. You can have a sustainable low carb/keto lifestyle when you're well prepared and planning meals is the key! LEARN MORE TODAY!
Keto Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers
Low Carb Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers
can still soak up all the flavors of their wonderfully healthy cuisine with
these Low-carb Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice Stuffed Peppers. I made these vegetarian / vegan keto, but you could easily add in some
ground turkey or beef if you prefer.
- 4 large Romano peppers or Bell Peppers or 320 grams
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup small head cauliflower or 7 ounces
- 2 tablespoon butter or ghee
- ½ small onion or 35 grams
- 1 clove garlic or 3 grams
- 6 ounces chopped tomatoes or 180 grams
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- ½ cup chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- ⅓ teaspoon fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- fresh chopped parsley, lemon wedges
- Best fresh but can be stored in the fridge for 2 days after it's been cooled.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F or 200C / 180 fan.
- Rub peppers with olive oil and a tiny pinch of salt.
- Place on a non-stick baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 - 18
minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile make the cauliflower rice. Place the florets in a food processor and pulse until they resemble a rice consistency. Set aside.
- Add the ghee or butter to a saucepan. Sauté the onions and garlic on medium/ low for 2 - 4 mins until soft and translucent. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, stock, herbs, remaining salt and pepper. Cook for 6 minutes on a medium heat to thicken.
- Add the cauliflower rice and cook for 4 - 5 mins until cooked, but still
with a bite. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Remove from the heat and stir through the fresh parsley.
- Using a sharp knife, make a slit in the peppers lengthways, but careful not to cut them in half. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon and discard. Fill the peppers with the cauliflower rice and enjoy. Option to serve with a squeeze of lemon if you like.
Jo is the creative food photographer and stylist behind the healthy eating blog, Modern Food Stories. Jo's a testament that once you find the right approach for you, you can overcome chronic illness through the healing power of food. She believes the secret to radiant health starts and ends with a healthy gut so all her recipes are grain, gluten and refined sugar free. Many are also dairy-free.