Do your kiddies love zucchini? Mine certainly DO NOT! I can't even tell them these are zucchini. In fact...... I just tell them they are egg and cheesy bites with some green seasoning and they love them. 🙂
My original recipe is simply just that with grated zucchini, Mini Zucchini Cheese Bites. But I love quinoa and it is really good for you too. Quinoa is considered a Super Food and is high in protein, fiber and vitamin E!
The original recipe is just as good as this one, but this recipe gives these little bites a bit more substance. They have a little crunch to them from the quinoa and they are a bit heavier so they are more filling. Either recipe though is a perfect little appetizer for any party! Or a perfect way to get in some zucchini in your picky child's diet. Or just a great way to use up all that garden zucchini. I just hate waste. 🙂
With the addition of the quinoa the recipe makes 16 instead of 12. The added quinoa does not change the calorie count or points.
- 2 cups grated zucchini ( about 1 or 2 medium)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- optional: ¼ cup chopped cilantro, salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl mix the zucchini, egg, cheese, quinoa and cilantro. I did not add any salt or pepper since the Parmesan is salty enough for us.
- Evenly divide the mixture into the mini muffin pan filling to the top, packed down in each cup.
- Bake for 15- 18 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Mine were perfect at 15 minutes.