Salt & Vinegar Chicken Wings are the ultimate party finger food for any football game day or super bowl party!
Keto Chicken Wings
If you love salt and vinegar flavors or salt vinegar chips, these keto chicken wings will be your favorite way to enjoy the flavors of those iconic potato chips without the carbs!
Crispy Wings are the perfect finger food for a football party spread! They are well loved when it comes to game day eats. Most often I've seen buffalo chicken wings winning out above the rest, but I'm here to share my vinegar seasoning recipe for a flavor I think will win out with the whole family!
This recipe was first published back in January of 2015! I updated with new photos and brought it out of the archives to share before Super Bowl Sunday!
Carbs in Battered Chicken Wings
Nutrition facts will vary, but I often use the app Cronometer as it's quite reliable. If you were to order KFC chicken wings orginial recipe, for 4 wings you are looking at 516 calories with 12.2 grams of carbs.
If you wanted the extra crispy, you're looking at 714 calories and 19.8 grams of carbs for just 4 wings.
If you're following a keto diet, you want to avoid any kind of batter on wings. Most, if not all, batter on chicken wings is made with white refined flour and sugar is most likely added as well.
Either way, not a good option on a ketogenic diet as they will kick you out of ketosis.
Carbs in Naked Chicken Wings
Chicken wings that are without any flour coating or batter are essentially zero carbs. For 4 wings, it's about 356 calories and zero carbs.
Though our awesome wing recipe includes seasonings, oil and spices, it is still low carb. The recipe card below shows detailed nutrition information.
Best Vinegars To Use
I wouldn't recommend balsamic vinegar for this recipe as the flavor profile wouldn't work for a traditional salt and vinegar wing recipe.
I know you can now buy Buffalo Wild wing seasonings, but the ingredients have maltodextrin and sugar listed so I attempted my own version just adapting the flavors from my Salt & Vinegar Zucchini Chips.
I've made them a couple times now and think they are incredibly crispy chicken wings without actually making a mess of deep frying them.
The seasoning works best and has the most flavor after the wings have marinated and then baked in the oven or air fried.
How to Get Crispy Skin
You can see the differences here on the baking sheet for the way I tried adding the seasoning. The 4 wings up front have been rolled and tossed in the seasonings while the rest of them have just been given a sprinkle on both sides.
The hubby was worried by rolling and tossing them in the seasoning it would be too overpowering so I sprinkled on the rest. You can choose to do it however you like.
I actually prefer them to be more heavily coated but that's just me. These keto wings are finger lickin' good!
If you're not keen on Salt & Vinegar Flavored wings, these Crispy Baked Chicken Wings might be more to your liking or maybe these Brown Butter Old Bay Wings, but if you like Spicy, check out these Spicy Oven Chicken Wings!
How to Make Crispy Wings in the Air Fryer
I have an extra large air fryer, but even with that size, I still need to place some of the wings upright along the sides of the air fryer basket. In my large basket, I can easily fit about 3 lbs of wings.
The beauty of air frying is that you can cut your cook time down. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your wings and how packed your air fryer is.
Set the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
Arrange as many wings as you can standing upright around the edges of the air fryer basket.
Then arrange the others standing upright against the ones on the edges until all the wings are standing upright in the air fryer. (This arrangement helps to crisp the wings evenly, as 3 pounds of wins is a lot for an air fryer.) If you do not have a large air fryer, you will need to cook the wings in batches.
Set the air fryer to cook for 20 minutes. Check the wings for crispness. If you prefer them to be very crispy, cook for an additional 5 minutes.
You don't necessarily need to add any sweetener to these, but the little bit of Swerve I did add, really enhances the savory flavors of these wings so I do highly recommend using it.
The malt vinegar is optional because you certainly could just taste a wing and decide if it has enough vinegar flavor for your taste buds. I prefer more and used it heavily!
If you decide you'd rather coat the wings as opposed to just sprinkling the dry seasoning on them you may need to double the ingredients.
Keto Dips & Dressings
Can't have great chicken wings without dipping sauce! Here are our favorites:
Other Super Bowl Recipes you might enjoy:
Keto Salt Vinegar Chicken Wings
Keto Salt and Vinegar Chicken Wings (Oven or Air Fryer)
- Lay the chicken wings in a 9 by 13 baking pan.
- Whisk the vinegar and oil together in a small bowl or plastic bag and toss wings in bag or pour over the wings in the pan.
- Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees .
- Place wings in a single layer on baking sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes. You can also place a wire rack over the baking sheet pan if you don't want as much of the marinade ingredients to absorb into the wings.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Remove the wings from the oven when a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the wing registers 165 degrees F. Season wings by sprinkling both sides of the wings with the dry mixed seasonings.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes until the skins are golden brown.
Air Fryer Directions
- Set the air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange as many wings as you can standing upright around the edges of the air fryer basket. Then arrange the others standing upright against the ones on the edges until all the wings are standing upright in the air fryer. (This arrangement helps to crisp the wings evenly, as 3 pounds of wins is a lot for an air fryer.) If you do not have a large air fryer, you will need to cook the wings in batches.
- Set the air fryer to cook for 20 minutes. Check the wings for crispness. If you prefer them to be very crispy, cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle on optional malt vinegar over the hot wings when they come out of the oven.