This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes are so moist and chocolatey no one will notice there’s healthy green zucchini in there!
Chocolate cupcakes are the best way to hide a green veggie like zucchini. As long as you grind the zucchini instead of grate it, the family will never notice! Neither will they taste it or smell zucchini. The only thing they will notice is the moist and chocolate flavor of these delicious cupcakes.
I made these for a cubscout event and everyone loved the moist cupcakes but the frosting was a little bitter as it was only my second attempt with the frosting recipe. BUT the texture and smooth chocolatey flavor was perfect, just needed more sweetness. So I made it a third time and shared with you yesterday in my post how I used up the frosting on bananas, Low Carb Chocolate Cream Banana Bites. I did not want to have any more of these cupcakes hanging around my house if you know what I mean. 🙂 They are goooood!
- You can eliminate the chocolate chips but they won’t be as sweet as a typical cupcake that the kids might be used to. I used Enjoy Life because my boys have soy and nut allergies. You could make your own Naturally Sweetened Dark Chocolate chips or use carob chips that are unsweetened or just try to find a brand that has the highest percent cocoa.
- This recipe is an adaption of my Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread.
- You should be able to sub coconut oil for the olive oil without a problem.
- I used Bob’s Red Mill gluten free flour.
- If you don’t have liquid stevia you could make this with powdered stevia using 2 tablespoons.
- If you’d like to use another sweetener of choice the amount of stevia used here equals about 1 cup sugar for your reference.
- Here’s the frosting recipe I used: Sugar Free Low Carb Chocolate Frosting. Nutrition Info below is without frosting on top.
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
- 2 cups grated zucchini about 4 medium
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons chocolate liquid stevia
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free flour plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips I used Enjoy Life
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place your grated zucchini in a food processor and process until mashed and smooth.
- Pour the zucchini in a bowl and add the eggs, applesauce, oil, vanilla extract and stevia and stir to combine.
- In another bowl stir together all the dry ingredients saving one tablespoon of flour for chocolate chips.
- In a small bowl mix 1 tbsp flour with the chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Combine the wet with the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Add the chocolate chips. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or use cupcake liners. Makes 18.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Allow to cool before adding frosting.
Weight Watchers Points +: 5*