This Sugar Free, Keto Chocolate Cream Pie is a beautiful traditional pie made without any sugar and perfect for the holidays!
Sugar Free Chocolate
"How will I ever survive without chocolate? Will I never be able to have a piece of chocolate cake for my birthday again? How can this be manageable?" These were the thoughts in my head 10 years when I first decided to try living without sugar and refined flours for 6 weeks.
6 Weeks of agony as I had to deny my sweet tooth and abstain.
But then I discovered I could make the things I love without the sugar. Maybe they wouldn't compare, but I had to try and try I did. And I kept trying and I keep trying and creating 10 years later.
I can't help myself, I have a sweet tooth, there is no denying. I have a thing for chocolate and I won't be ashamed. I had a little relapse when I got pregnant with my 3rd child and decided I didn't have an issue with sugar and I would just enjoy myself and then remove it after I gave birth.
He will be 9 three days after Christmas which always brings me back to that desperation I felt when I realized I was a sugar addict and I was worse than I really thought. I had no idea until I tried to remove the sugar and detox myself.
You see the first time I did it was purely to lose the baby weight from my 2nd child, I didn't think I had a problem. I don't think any addict realizes they have a problem until they try to stop whatever it is they are consuming and can't get enough of.
By the grace of God and support from a wonderful wise older mentor type mom, I was able to break free back in 2006 and have NEVER touched the white stuff since.
I remember that desperation and I never want to feel that way again. I have sugar freedom and I can still enjoy dessert and chocolate and pies as long as I make them sugar free. I can't tell you why I ever got addicted to sugar, but it happened and it was real. But today I live a life free from sugar addiction and I am grateful. My entire journey to keto is documented in my new cookbook, Naturally Keto available now.
I am grateful I can still have chocolate cream pie without the desire to eat the whole thing! Stevia doesn't make me crave and that's what I'm sticking with. If I can do it, anyone can! Now go and enjoy some chocolate cream pie!
Other recipes you might love for Christmas this year:
Sugar Free Chocolate Cream Pie
Sugar Free Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 prepared low carb pie crust
- 3 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon chocolate liquid stevia or vanilla stevia
- ½ cup sugar free chocolate chips like the brand Lily's
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons chocolate liquid stevia
- Optional topping: 1 cup heavy whipped cream whipped with 1 teaspoon vanilla liquid stevia
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk the heavy cream and cocoa powder in a sauce pan. Sprinkle and whisk in xanthan gum, salt and stevia .
- Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer for 3-4 minutes until it thickens like pudding.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate chips.
- Stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a stand mixer and blend until smooth.
- Pour a small amount of the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and blend on low to temper the egg mixture. Add a little bit more at a time so you don't cook the eggs.
- Add the rest of the chocolate mixture into the stand mixer and blend until combined well.
- Pour into prepared pie shell and cover the crust edges with aluminum foil so it doesn't burn.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until center is set but still slightly jiggly.
- Cool slightly then refrigerate to set for 6 hours or overnight..
- Top with homemade whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired.
- The optional whipped cream on top is not part of the nutritional information.
- While the carbs are a bit higher, this isn't an every day kind of dessert but perfect for a special day like Christmas!
- This recipe was first published in December of 2014 and updated with video in December 2019.