A healthy copycat version of the popular Italian candy, Ferrero Rocher made sugar free, low carb and dairy free!
You must have known this recipe was coming right? After all the most recent recipe of Homemade Sugar-Free Nutella must have clued you in that naturally I HAD to make this copycat recipe. Are you familiar with Ferrero Rocher? At every holiday of my Italian family, the dessert table always had these little hazelnut delights. Indescribable unless you've tasted them. Seriously addictive. These homemade ones are pretty close in taste to the real thing except they lack the wafer exterior. But you won't notice or care as these come together in no time and require nothing more than a little molding of nutella and a little chopping and melting for the outer crunchy coating. Worth a few minutes of your time for a spectacular treat to WOW your guests.
I always thought something like these candies would be so much work but I was so wrong. Once you have the basic Nutella recipe ready these come together quickly!
Allowing the nutella to harden a bit in the fridge makes them easier to work with and mold around the hazelnut. Then using a teaspoon you scoop out a bit, flatten like a pancake, top with hazelnut then another teaspoon of nutella and shape into a ball. Refrigerate once again before coating and try not to eat them all before your guests come!
My mistake here was placing them on the baking sheet instead of a wire rack once coated. As you can see the chocolate pooled all around and I had to break off the edges. We didn't mind of course and ate the extra chocolate all around the balls.
Still, not a bad looking version if I may say so myself!
You could wrap individually if you so desire.
- If you can't find a sugar-free chocolate bar sweetened with stevia, you could use sugar free chocolate chips by the brand Lily's or find a chocolate bar or chips with the highest amount of cocoa you can find.
- You could also just use unsweetened chocolate and then add sweetener of choice to taste before coating the balls.
Sugar-Free Copycat Ferrero Rocher
- ½ cup Homemade Nutella
- 12 Hazelnuts
- 2 ounces sugar free chocolate bar or choice
- ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts
- Toast hazelnuts in a dry skillet until fragrant.
- Remove as much of skin as possible. Let cool.
- Refrigerate nutella for 30 minutes then take 1 teaspoon and flatten like a mini pancake. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Top with 1 hazelnut.
- Add 1 more teaspoon of Nutella on top of the hazelnut and mold into a ball shape.
- Make 12 balls and refrigerate.
- Melt chocolate bar and stir in chopped hazelnuts and mix well.
- Take one nutella ball at a time and dip in chocolate coating.
- Remove with a fork to remove excess and place on parchment lined baking sheet topped with a wire rack.
- Continue with the rest and refrigerate to harden.
- Individually wrap in foil if desired on place in an air tight container.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.