This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This Homemade Nutella is actually healthy, sugar-free, dairy free, low carb and made with only 5 ingredients!
Most everyone knows what Nutella is right? That hazelnut chocolate spread that you can buy pretty much purchase at any market. Commercials even advertise it as a great breakfast option on toast, really??!! I could never give it to my kids for breakfast it’s so full of sugar and one bite is surely addictive I tell ya! Talk about a sugar crash immediately after ingesting!
Before I became sugar free over 13 years ago now, I would buy the store bought brand and eat a spoonful a day, I’d finish off a jar a week! To say I wasn’t addictive is a lie for sure. The taste is unmistakable and there really isn’t anything else to compare with it. Today I can honestly say I have no interest to ever buy store bought Nutella again and making my homemade version is the next best thing. Knowing it’s sugar free, without preservatives and additives makes me super happy and you could most certainly have it for breakfast with some toast!
It’s super creamy with the addition of some coconut oil! I love making easy spreads like this in my Food Processor! One appliance to clean and your work is done in the kitchen! Other No Bake Recipes my family loves that can easily be made in your food processor are:
- No Bake Chocolate Protein Bites
- No Bake Coconut Cashew Protein Bars
- No Bake Chocolate Fudge Protein Bars
Yes it is a bit messy, but that’s the fun of it all!
Here’s my video showing how easy this is!
No need for refrigeration, it can stay at room temp for up to a week, if it even lasts that long.
Here are some other recipes you will enjoy using this homemade Nutella:
May not be as perfectly smooth as the store-bought kind, but for a homemade healthy sugar-free version there is no denying, it’s amazing!
- If you’d prefer a thicker texture use 1/4 cup coconut oil melted. I prefer it to be more spreadable and loose so I used more oil. If you prefer thinner texture as in my pictures above use 1/2 cup coconut oil.
- The hazelnut flavored stevia is fantastic here, but feel free to use any sweetener you prefer to taste.
- If you prefer to leave all sweeteners out you can also do that and it will be more like a peanut butter that has no sugar in it.
- FYI: Because you are using melted coconut oil here it will look looser in texture once made, but set aside for a little while on counter or even refrigerate for 30 minutes and you will notice it thickens up. If you do refrigerate too long it will harden and not be spreadable so I suggest keeping it on the counter in a covered container.
- This recipe was originally posted in April of 2014 but I felt a short video was needed to bring this awesome recipe out of the archives!
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Sugar-Free Homemade Nutella
In a dry skillet, toast your hazelnuts until fragrant, about 4-5minutes over medium heat.
Place on a clean kitchen towel and allow to cool.
Once cool rub towel over them to loosen and remove as much of their skins as possible.
Place in a food processor or high powdered blender and process until fine crumbs.
Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
Taste and adjust salt and stevia if needed.
Makes 12 ounces.
Net Carbs: 1g