This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This Easy and Quick Italian Sausage & Pepper Soup is a low carb, gluten free, grain free, comforting soup made in an Instant Pot with an option to also make in a slow cooker.
It doesn’t take a lot to make me happy.
It doesn’t take much to make my hubby happy either.
A hot bowl of soup on a cold winter’s day is all we need and want.
The Instant Pot has been getting lots of exposure these days. You’ve heard of it right?
It’s a fool proof way to learn to use a pressure cooker without worry of it on the stove and having to make sure the heat is just right when cooking.
This one has all the settings to make life a lot easier making traditionally longer meals in half the time. It’s electric too, you plug it in like a crock pot!
I have been a pressure cooker lover since I was a young girl.
Hearing that little jingle in the kitchen on many days of the week and especially on Sundays in my Italian home, brought happy thoughts of some good food we were about to eat.
I even made a video showing how to use one:
Never in all my childhood did a pressure cooker every explode so I never had that fear that many do have with the thought of using one.
But I realize that many people don’t want to bother with learning how to use a traditional pressure cooker so for Christmas I asked the hubby to buy me the Instant Pot so I could bring you more glorious quick recipes using it.
This is my first recipe using this awesome kitchen appliance, but I have others for the traditional pressure cooker I will be converting into directions for the Instant Pot as well.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot I have directions below to make the recipe in the slow cooker. If you don’t have a slow cooker you can follow the same directions and just make it on the stove top and cook the soup for 30 minutes on a low simmer. But both the Instant Pot and the Crock Pot are well worth the money for saving time as a busy mom!
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Italian Sausage & Pepper Soup
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds Italian sausage sweet or hot, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bell peppers or 2 cups chopped
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 cups water
- 28 ounce diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1/4 cup freshly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1/4 cup fresh chopped
- 4 ounces spinach
- optional" 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Instant Pot Directions
- Press Saute to preheat cooker.
- When "Hot" appears on display, add oil and sausage.
- Keep lid open and cook until sausage is browned on all sides, about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove the sausage and add the garlic, peppers and onions.
- Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in vinegar, broth, water and tomatoes.
- Add sausage back to pot and add seasonings.
- *If using fresh herbs do not add in yet.
- Close and lock lid.
- Press "Soup" button.
- After 10 minutes hit Cancel.
- Open with Quick Release.
- Add in fresh herbs if using, fresh spinach and optional grated cheese.
Crock Pot Directions
- Heat oil in a large skillet and cook sausage until browned.
- Add this and the remaining ingredients into a slow cooker, except fresh herbs and spinach.
- Cook on low 6 hours.
- In the last 15 minutes, add in fresh herbs and spinach.
- Top with grated cheese to serve.
Net Carbs: 9.5g