This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This is a guest post from Ayla of Everyday Maternity.
One of my favorite things about the weekend is that its a time to relax with the family. Nothing makes me feel better than a lazy Sunday morning in the kitchen making a delicious (but of course nutritious) breakfast. This recipe, commonly known in my family as ABC pancakes (A is for apple, B is for blueberries, and C is for cinnamon), is a favorite among all because not only is it sweet, but it’s healthy too!
In addition, it just so happens to include a fabulous fruit that is one of my favorites: blueberries.
Did you know….
- Blueberries are rich in antioxidants
- Blueberries are a fat fighting food
- Blueberries promote urinary tract health
- Blueberries promote brain health (they boost neuron signals)
So this Sunday fill your kitchen with the delicious scent of apples and cinnamon and serve your family this healthy breakfast made with a powerhouse fruit.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes:Serving Size: 1 pancake* Servings per Recipe: 5 pancakes* Calories: 133* Fat: 2.3 g* Carbs: 24.2 g* Fiber: 4.1 g* Protein: 5.5 g*
Apple Cinnamon Topping:Serving Size: 1/2 of what the recipe makes* Serving per Recipe: 2* Calories: 139.7* Fat: 8.8 g* Carbs: 16.4 g* Fiber: 3 g* Protein: 0.3 g*
Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes
- 1 and a 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 and a 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 and 1/4 cups of almond milk unsweetened*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of blueberries*
- Cooking spray
Apple Cinnamon Topping
- 1 apple*
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Peel and thinly slice the apple.
- Saute the apple, butter, water, and ground cinnamon until tender. Most of the liquid (melted butter and water) will cook out and the apples will be a golden brown shade.
- Cover the pan and remove from heat.
- In a bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Lightly beat the egg.
- Mix all the wet ingredients (egg, almond milk, and vanilla extract) together with the dry ingredients. The batter should be smooth.
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Grease a nonstick pan (or griddle) with cooking spray.
- Heat the pan on medium.
- Pour batter onto the pan (I use a scoop of about 1/3 of a cup of batter). * If you are making multiple pancakes on your pan or griddle make sure they are spaced about 1 or 2 inches apart.
- Once you see tiny bubbles forming all across the pancake (approximately 2 to 3 minutes) flip the pancake over.
- Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Check to make sure both sides are golden brown.
- Serve with Apple Cinnamon Topping.
- For my almond milk I use Almond Breeze original unsweetened
- You can use more or less blueberries – it all depends on your tastes
- Try a green apple for a little bit of a sweet/sour mix
This recipe was submitted by Ayla Hawkins on behalf of Everyday Maternity. Ayla is just starting out on her sugar-free and white-flour-free journey and is truly enjoying exploring all the great recipes out there.