This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
A fresh raw jicama salad tossed with fresh herbs, arugula, lettuce and a lime vinaigrette makes for a refreshing and easy summer side dish!
Have you heard of jicama before? If not, it’s a root vegetable that looks a bit like a turnip, but is crispy and sweet. It’s quite popular in Mexican cuisine and mostly eaten raw in salads, but it can be cooked as well and treated like a potato. You can find it at your local supermarket. When I found it at Whole Foods, I bought it intending to cook it up to make some type of mock hashbrowns, but once I peeled and sliced it, I found it so delicious raw and crispy well…..this salad was born!
Adding some fresh butter lettuce and arugula give the salad some color as well as provide a nice soft texture contrast to the crispiness of the jicama. If you don’t like arugula just use lettuce you like.
If I had some cilantro I would have used it instead of parsley but since I only have parsley in my garden that’s what I used. I think it still tasted fresh and yummy!
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Jicama Arugula Herb Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
- 2 pounds jicama peeled, thick matchstick slices
- 2 limes juice and zest
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 yellow pepper sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup butter lettuce chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Place jicama in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and juice of limes and zest.
- Let stand 15 minutes to soften.
- In a serving bowl add all remaining ingredients and top with jicama.
- Gently toss with salad tongs.
- Serve or refrigerate. Makes approximately 10 cups.
Weight Watchers Points+: 4*