Anything stuffed with yummy vegetables and cheese is a winner for me. I love eggplant but my hubby isn’t crazy about it. He loves this recipe because he barely notices he’s eating any since I add some many other veggies into the mixture. Half of an eggplant is definitely a dinner size meal. If I were having it for lunch I would most likely cut that half in half again as it is very filling.
I would even have this without any meat and just veggies but my hubby is a meat man who wants a lot of substance in his dinners. I’ve given you the nutrition info for either way you prefer.
- Ground turkey or beef could be substituted in place of the ground veal.
- A can of diced tomatoes could be used in place of the cup of fresh tomatoes.
Nutrition Info with Veal
Servings: 6* Calories: 315* Fat: 14g* Fiber: 8g* Carbs: 26g* Protein: 23g* Points+:8*
Nutrition Info Meatless
Servings: 6* Calories: 207* Fat: 9g* Fiber: 8g* Carbs: 26g* Protein: 8g* Points+: 5*
Serving is half of the halved eggplant or 1 whole pepper.
If you have room for it a yummy Fennel Salad would be perfect with this!
Have you ever made stuffed eggplant or peppers before? What do you usually stuff into them?
Barley Feta Stuffed Eggplant
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in half
- 2 sweet red or yellow peppers, tops cut off and insides clean out
- 1 c. tomato, diced
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. pearl barley
- 1 c. spinach, frozen or 2 c. fresh
- 1/2 c. mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. ground veal or turkey
- 1 c. feta cheese
- Wash the eggplant and slice it in half. Using a sharp knife cut all around the eggplant half 1/4 inch from the skin.
- Slice the inside lengthwise and horizontally. Use a large spoon to scoop out the middle and place in a bowl.
- Spray a baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Lay the eggplant halves on the baking sheet, scooped side up. Spray the inside of the eggplant.
- Broil for 7 minutes then flip them over and broil another 6-7 minutes until tender. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the peppers in a small loaf pan with 1/4 c. of water at the bottom. Bake for 25- 30 minutes until a knife can easily be inserted into the pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Cook the ground veal until browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the garlic, onion, eggplant insides, mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Add tomato, water and barley and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer mixture for 30 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Uncover adding, salt, spinach and feta, cook 5 minutes until spinach and feta are heated throughout mixture.Divide the mixture.
- Place the mixture into the peppers and eggplant and bake them for another 15 minutes.