Freshly baked muffins in the morning can get even the sleepiest of sleepers out of bed. Combine some fresh or frozen blueberries and corn meal and you’ve got a nice and easy breakfast or snack for the family.
This recipe only makes 12 and I say that laughingly as you would think that would be enough for most families right? Well, not mine! They ate these babies up and I only had 1! I think it’s safe to say even the picky eaters in my family liked these as much as I did! Especially funny because two of them don’t even like blueberries, HA!
- If you don’t have buttermilk you can make your own by adding one tablespoon of white vinegar to 1/2 cup milk and allow to stand without stirring for 5 minutes then proceed with recipe.
- You can substitute the coconut oil for butter.
- You can change the stevia to 1/2 cup of honey.
- 1 1/2 cup fine corn meal
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon powdered stevia
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup buttermilk* (See Note above)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries, do not thaw or fresh
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together corn meal, 3/4 cup flour, salt, powdered stevia and baking powder. Stir in softened coconut oil, set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together buttermilk, egg, applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the rest of the dry ingredients and stir to just combine.
- In a small bowl combine blueberries with the 1 tablespoon flour and stir to coat.
- Gently fold berries into batter.
- Pour batter into 12 muffin cups and bake 20-25 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 5- 10 minutes before removing and cooking on a wire rack