Italian Style Cole Slaw
You must be thinking what in the world is the difference? Coleslaw is coleslaw right?
Italian style coleslaw has no mayo, the end. It’s really just olive oil and vinegar with some seasonings and that’s it plain and simple.
To be honest I never grew up eating coleslaw as a child. I only started wanting it as I began cooking for myself in my twenties. I never was crazy about the traditional mayo type coleslaw and honestly most were so sweet it turned me off even before I went sugar free.
So why the sudden change to a coleslaw lover?
It’s fabulously light, low carb and I love the crunch! The crunchy texture paired with a soft pulled pork or chicken recipe is nothing but spectacular in my mind and in my mouth!
This recipe has just a hint of lemon before serving and it only gets tastier as it sits in the fridge. So making ahead is the key. Enjoy as a change from typical salad or serve with some grilled meats at the summer BBQ party!
Tomorrow I will be serving up a fabulous crock pot entree to go right on top of this yummy coleslaw so stay tuned!
- Serves: 10
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 75
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated fat: .8g
- Carbohydrates: 5.9g
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 259mg
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- 10 cups shredded cabbage, core and outer leaves removed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Optional: 1/2 lemon
- Place the shredded cabbage into a large bowl.
- Whisk the rest of the ingredients together.
- Pour dressing over the cabbage and stir until all combined.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- When ready to serve squeeze the lemon juice over the top and toss once more before serving.