Mediterranean Farro Salad is a hearty vegetarian salad full of protein and fiber and perfect for a meatless Monday dinner or lunch!
Simply cooking the farro on the stove and chopping veggies is all it takes to get this delicious salad on the table in 20 minutes.
Farro is a traditional grain of the Mediterranean, particularly Rome. It’s got a great nutty flavor and holds it’s shape and chewy texture so it’s perfect for a cold salad.
The first time I had tried a farro salad was when we were away for the weekend for a homeschool convention and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Worcester. We ate the restaurant at our hotel which was the Chicago Uno. I had this amazing cold farro salad with fabulous warm sauteed veggies and feta cheese. So I came home to recreate a version of it.
I found the farro at Ocean State Job Lot and decided to give it a try. I’m also quite lazy in the summer with the heat so I felt no desire to stir fry any veggies for this salad. You can really change this up however you like with whatever veggies you like. I also changed the cheese as I love Pecorino Romano because it’s a harder cheese than feta and has a nice bite to it, but you could sub it for feta and it will still be delicious!
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 316
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 859mg
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced cucumbers
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup pitted halved kalamata olives
- 3 ounces Pecorino Romano cheese, cubed
- small bunch parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Bring 4 cups of water and farro to a boil.
- Simmer on low until almost tender about 15 minutes.
- Add salt and simmer another 5-10 minutes until water is absorbed.
- Drain water if needed.Allow to cool slightly.
- Add other ingredients to a serving bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk dressing ingredients together and toss with farro and vegetables. Makes 6 cups. Serve room temperature or refrigerate and serve chilled.