These gluten-free, air fryer, crispy keto breaded mushrooms make a great side dish to serve with any protein of choice or enjoy as a delicious appetizer with your favorite dipping sauce! Just 4 total grams of carbohydrates or 3 net carbs per serving!
Crispy Air Fryer Mushrooms
Traditional crispy breaded mushrooms are often made with bread crumbs from white bread which is not keto friendly or low carb. Our special keto breading is a mixture of whey protein powder, eggs and crushed pork rinds with tasty seasonings.
Our healthy recipe avoids deep frying and cuts cooking time in half using the air fryer option. Our crispy coating is also tree nut free and does not use almond flour.
Even if you have family members who aren't excited about eating mushrooms, these crispy mushrooms may become a new favorite side dish the whole family will love!
What to Serve with Air Fryer Mushrooms
You could use our crispy coating for any protein you like. Chicken breasts or thighs would be delicious with this crunchy coating!
You could enjoy these air fryer mushrooms with our crispy keto chicken tenders or Southern Fried Turkey Tenders. Our Baked BBQ Chicken Wings would be another keto entree that would be perfect finger foods or fun party food for a group!
How to Make Crispy Keto Air Fryer Mushrooms
Mushrooms-We used cremini mushrooms, but another option is mini portobello. We brushed them with a dry paper towel and removed any dirt.
Whey Protein Powder-We are using unflavored whey as you don't want any flavored in this savory recipe.
Egg- Room temperature is best as it will help the coating stick best.
Heavy Cream-Just a little helps the egg mixture to be a bit thicker, helping the whey and pork rinds stick to the mushrooms.
Pork Rinds- You can crush pork rinds yourself in a food processor or purchase store bought Panko Breadcrumbs made from Pork Rinds already crushed for you.
Salt-We use Redmond's real salt as it is much more natural than tables salt and no anti-cacking agents have been added.
Dried Parsley- Dried works best here as using fresh parsley with bring too much moisture to the mix and they won't get crispy.
Grated Parmesan-Totally optional, but definitely tasty with this addition in the mix.
Cut the mushrooms in half and set aside on a baking sheet pan lined with parchment.
Mix together the crushed pork rinds, salt, parsley, spices and optional parmesan in another shallow bowl. This mixture is what helps make a nice, crunchy coating for the mushrooms!
In another shallow bowl, whisk the egg and cream together.
Roll the mushrooms into the whey protein powder.
Coat with the egg mixture.
Then roll in the pork rind mixture and place on a baking pan while you finish the rest. It’s best to do this in batches so the egg mix doesn’t get clumpy.
Place as many mushrooms as you can, without touching each other, in one single layer, on the air fryer tray. Spray the mushrooms on both sides with olive oil or avocado oil which will give them that nice golden brown color and create extra crispy skin on the outside.
Air fry at 400 degrees F / 200c for 4 - 7 minutes depend on the size of your mushrooms, tossing once after about 3 minutes.
Can I Make Crispy Mushrooms in the Oven?
Yes, if you don't have an air fryer you can make these keto crispy mushrooms in the oven instead. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Lay your breaded mushrooms on a baking sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
How to Store Air Fryer Mushrooms
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat in the air fryer for 1-2 minutes at 400 degrees. I do not recommend freezing these.
More Keto Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Keto Breaded Mushrooms
Air Fryer Keto Breaded Mushrooms
- 7 ounces cremini mushrooms (or mini portobello), brushed and removed of any dirt
- 3 tablespoon whey protein unflavored
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds unseasoned
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan (optional, but recommended)
Our Favorite Dipping Sauce- Optional
- Cut the mushrooms in half and set aside on a baking sheet pan lined with parchment.
- Add the whey protein powder to a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk the egg and cream together.
- If making your own powdered pork rinds, blitz the pork rinds in a high speed blender until fine.
- Mix together the crushed pork rinds, salt, parsley, spices and optional parmesan in another shallow bowl.
- Roll the mushrooms into the whey protein powder, then coat with the egg mixture, then roll in the pork rind mixture and place on a baking pan while you finish the rest. It’s best to do this in batches so the egg mix doesn’t get clumpy.
- Place as many mushrooms as you can, without touching each other, in one single layer, on the air fryer tray. Spray the mushrooms on both sides with olive oil or avocado oil which will give them that nice golden color.
- Air fry at 400 degrees F / 200c for 4 - 7 minutes depend on the size of your mushrooms, tossing once after about 3 minutes. Serve with dip of choice.
- Storage: Tupperware in the fridge for 1 day (and reheated).