This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This Easy Low Carb Fat Head Bacon Cheeseburger Calzone is grain free and gluten free as well !!!
Cheesy, gooey, meaty, bread-y…is that a word?
Oh wait, doughy, that works right? You get where I’m going with this recipe don’t you? It’s all about that cheese and filling and biting into a sinfully tasting card laden burger stuffed into a calzone! NOT NOT AND NOT AGAIN!!
Ok it is Cheesy and meaty but it is NOT, I repeat NOT bread-y, not carb-y and certainly not sinful either!
The calzone is made from….wait for it…………..MOZZARELLA CHEESE! I first published this recipe in April of 2015, but updated it with a video for you!
Have you fallen off your chair yet? How is it possible? Well when I made my Grain Free Low Carb Pizza Dough I knew this calzone had to happen. I have a very old, back at the start of my blog, Whole Wheat Cheeseburger Calzone (you can look and go laugh at the pics) that I knew could be adapted and remade into a low carb version with that pizza crust.
And we were not disappointed.
My family in fact was in awe!
Placed on the side a little sugar free ketchup and mustard to dip and a few pickles and I call that a pretty easy dinner night!
No kneading dough, no yeast, no rising and waiting. Easy peasy and perfectly pick-up-able!
Obviously you must start with the pizza recipe in order to make the calzone but that is a pretty quick recipe in itself and in less than an hour or dare I say even 30 minutes if you have kids who can help, you can have this calzone on the table.
I think you’ve probably noticed I forgot the bacon in the recipe. But I want it in there! And it should be in there! Because …..you know it……everything is better with bacon!
Here’s my quick video to show you how easy this is!
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Low Carb Grain Free Bacon Cheeseburger Calzone
- 6 slices no sugar added bacon (I used Applegate)
- 1 1/2 pound ground turkey or ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar free ketchup
- 2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Prepare the pizza dough on a parchment lined baking sheet but DO NOT precook it as you would for the pizza recipe.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Cook the ground turkey in the same skillet on medium high heat until browned and no longer pink.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and cook until cheese is melted and combined well.
- Place the filling down the center of the pizza dough.
- Wet your hands with water then lift one side of the dough over on top if the filling as far as you can bring it.
- Fold the other half over and seal closed simply by pressing the dough with wet fingers.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool out of the oven 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- Enjoy with condiments and pickles!
Net Carbs for 2 slices= 7.5g