Gluten Free & Low Carb Cheddar Herb Drop Biscuits are a super simple biscuit to make for any weeknight dinner.
Have you ever made drop biscuits before? To explain simply, it is a biscuit made from dough with enough milk that it can be dropped with a spoon onto a baking sheet. Usually flour based and has no rising agent. Making these gluten free was cinch! Coconut flour works really well here for this recipe BUT no coconut flavor is noticeable, I mean that truthfully. No they won't taste like your typical white flour or whole wheat flour kind of texture of a biscuit, but they are delicious. Most noticeable ingredient will be the cheddar cheese and who doesn't like cheese? Not any in my family anyway.
If you or a family member needs to be gluten free for health reasons, these are a wonderful yummy, cheesy biscuit to make with your dinner! My family does not need to be gluten free, but I am sensitive to wheat so I'm now experimenting more and more with gluten free recipes. Using coconut flour is a good option as many gluten free recipes call for almond flour. We cannot use any nut flours in our family as my youngest has a tree nut allergy. Overall I feel strongly that eliminating most wheat from my families diet is a good choice and certainly can't harm them. 🙂
So are you wondering what my family thought about these little biscuits? For a picky hubby who still loves things all fattening, fried, floured, etc HE Liked them, WIN! For the picky teen who rarely says much these days, REALLY liked them and in fact at more than one. The youngest wasn't super crazy about them to have anymore than one but since he isn't a fan of coconut I have a feeling he knew something was different he just couldn't figure out what it was.
Overall, 5 out of 6 is pretty successful in my book with a picky family don't you think?
A Few Notes on the recipe:
- Feel free to eliminate the butter and substitute coconut oil.
- Eliminate the cheese as well for dairy free or find a vegan substitute.
- I used this recipe as my base and adapted from there. I added fresh herbs as I still have a bunch from my summer garden to enjoy but you can certainly remove them if you prefer.
Gluten Free & Low Carb Cheddar Herb Drop Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl mix the flour, salt and dry seasonings.
- Add melted butter.
- Add eggs, work out the clumps.
- Add fresh herbs and cheese and mix until combined.
- Using a cookie scooper, scoop 10 mounds of batter onto baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes until golden brown.