These peanut butter and chocolate blondies are low carb, gluten free and made without flour or sugar!
Although we've been back at school (home school) for almost two weeks, it was more like the unofficial start. We begin our co op classes today which starts the "real" school, in my kids minds anyway. The day once a week when they get to experience a full day of subjects with other parents as their teachers, having to be prepared, on time and ready, without any complaints as they can easily do to me as mom. It's a day I get to go back to my roots of where I started before home schooling my kids and that was teaching in a classroom.
When we get home each Friday afternoon for some reason, even with a fabulous lunch packed for them, everyone including myself is crazy hungry. Who knows why it's more so than others days when we work just as long but are home together. I usually come home exhausted myself and rarely feel like making a healthy snack for all of us to enjoy. This is when the make ahead strategies come to mind and on Thursday I'm often scrambling to get a hot meal on the table with plenty of left overs for Friday night so I don't have to cook dinner, making batches of muffins for breakfast and some sort of goodie like brownies or these blondies I'm sharing today.
I brought these to a summer party at my cousins and everyone loved them and had no idea they were eating chickpeas! The flavor of the chickpea is masked by the peanut butter. They are dense and filling and will satisfy a craving for a brownie.
At only 4.3 grams of net carbs per serving, 4 grams of protein and 1g of sugar, I'd say that's a win wouldn't you?
So if you're kiddies come home from school ravenous and asking what they could eat, try these blondies! I guarantee they will never know they are secretly healthy!
- You could sub sugar-free chocolate chips in place of the chocolate layer I used and just top about a cup over the peanut butter layer then bake as directed.
- You could replace the erythritol with honey of preferred.
- Although I didn't' try this, you might be able to sub unsweetened applesauce for the erythritol as well.
- The inspiration for this recipe came from Erin Dee, from Texanerin when I first laid eyes on the most delicious looking cookie made with chickpeas!
- This could be made peanut free by subbing sunbutter for the peanut butter in the recipe.
Grain Free & Sugar-Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Blondies
Peanut Butter Layer
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients expect the chocolate layer into a food processor and process until blended.
- Line an 8 by 8 baking pan with parchment paper. (Have extra on ends to lift out easier.)
- Spread peanut butter layer onto parchment and level off as best you can.
- Make the chocolate layer by melting the coconut oil in a microwaveable bowl and whisking in the cocoa powder and erythritol.
- Pour chocolate layer over the peanut butter layer and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 30 minutes in the pan.
- Lift out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Slice and enjoy!
Net Carbs: 4.3 grams*