Can you smell the amazing aroma of banana bread baking?? It's a simple bread that pleases most in any family. Hearty, moist, soft, and comforting really. Slice and take on the go or toast with a little butter on top, YUM!
But until recently, wheat is not something I'm eating, so I'm adapting recipes as I go to become gluten free. This recipe is adapted from my Blueberry Banana Bread, only into a muffin instead. 🙂
To make portion control easier, the muffin pan is my best friend. Making this recipe into a regular loaf bread is certainly fine but I doubt you'll be able to make16 thin slices of it, as we have here in muffin form. You may be able to get 8 hearty slices of bread though so double the nutrition info.
You can use any gluten free flour you like or make your own which is something I'm planning on doing soon, but for now I usedKing Arthur's brand and love it!
My intention wasn't to make these low fat but to make them sugar free and gluten free, sometimes the low fat happens by accident and it did here. No oil is used or even needed in this recipe. Many comments regarding my Blueberry Banana Bread recipe will back up the fact that it is a moist and delicious bread and shockingly without added fat.
Here are some other recipes you might like:
- Mini Whole Wheat Chocolate Pumpkin Bread loaves
- Mini Chocolate Chip Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins, GF
*adapted from my Blueberry Banana Bread
As you will see I did not use xanthan gum and have made them multiple times since posting this recipe. If the gluten free flour blend you use contains it, no need to add it. Honestly xanthan is for a nice pliable soft texture that replaces what gluten would provide in a recipe, but with the moisture from the bananas and applesauce I've never needed it, nor do I think it's needed in this recipe. If desired you could always add ½ teaspoon of xanthan gum.
Gluten Free Low Fat Banana Bread Muffins [No Sugar Added]
- 3 mashed ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk 1%
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon gf vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free flour I used King Arthur
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon gf baking soda
- 1 tablespoon powdered stevia
- ¼ cup water
- optional: chopped walnuts chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together bananas, eggs, vanilla, milk and applesauce.
- In another bowl mix together the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients then add the ¼ cup water.
- Spray a 12 capacity and 6 capacity muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour batter into muffin cups filling to capacity.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out clean.