A good'ole traditional stuffed pepper here!
Well.....maybe not so traditional, but healthier! There are so many variations of a stuffed pepper out there and you can really add whatever you like. This one was inspired by my Healthier Taco Salad recipe. Using ground turkey and some delicious ingredients this baked goodness is hearty and satisfying.
Although you only see 6 halves here, I could have easily filled another 2 halves with the filling. I needed the extra filling for a Meal-To-Go recipe I'll be sharing tomorrow.
One half is enough for lunch at only 181 calories or eat 2 for dinner with a nice side salad.
Top with some fresh chopped scallions and cilantro and enjoy! Wonderful left over to eat the next day too. 🙂
Healthy Turkey Stuffed Pepper
- 4 medium bell peppers halved
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- ½ cup shredded cheese lite Mexican blend
- Optional: chopped scallions fresh cilantro
- Spray a 9 by 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place sliced peppers, cut side down into the dish.
- Add ½ cup of water to bottom of dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- (You can skip this step and just bake peppers for longer in the oven until tender.) Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat oil in a skillet and cook onion until translucent.
- Add turkey and seasonings.
- Once meat is browned, add black beans, salsa and brown rice.
- Spoon evenly into each pepper half.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes, uncover and add shredded cheese on top of each stuffed pepper.
- Bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with chopped scallions and cilantro if desired.
Other recipes you might like: