This easy low carb keto taco soup recipe is a quick meal that can be made in under 30 minutes and is a perfect way for a cool day when you need some comfort in a a bowl! Just 6 g net carbs per serving!
QUICK EASY TACO KETO SOUP RECIPE
What makes you want to come home after work to make dinner? Is it knowing you HAVE TO make dinner for the family? Is it that you're working diligently to not order take out and stick to your goals while on a keto diet? Is it simply that you love to cook?
If you have no desire to come home and make dinner maybe it's time to change your mindset from , Have to, to instead, Get to.
With some quick and easy recipes like I'm showing you today, you will be well on your way to living your best life yet once you change that mindset. BUT I totally agree, that if you have no plan at all for dinner after work, that is stressful and causes you to give in to temptation.
Soup is one of the easiest ways to get a hearty meal on the table in no time at all. You can make this quick and easy taco soup recipe in under 30 minutes!
If you prep ahead and want it warm and ready for when you get home from work you can easily throw it together the night before and start the slow cooker (crock pot) first thing in the morning.
The flavors will have even more time to mingle and it will be outstanding! Even better if you have left overs to take for lunch the next day, am I right?
CAN I SWAP THE GROUND BEEF?
This is a simple taco soup recipe that can easily be adapted from using ground beef to ground turkey or ground chicken.
Make it even easier on yourself and just buy a rotisserie chicken already cooked from the market. It really doesn't get any easier than this low-carb taco soup.
It will take no time at all to saute the simple ingredients like veggies and ground beef, then add some beef stock or broth and your favorite taco toppings and you've got a tasty creamy taco soup the whole family will love!
CREAMY KETO TACO SOUP
What's the difference between a traditional taco soup and a low carb keto taco soup you ask?
Well for one thing, black beans! There are no beans in this soup. Next ingredient usually in traditional taco soup? Corn!
There is no corn in this keto taco soup since the carb count of corn is too high for a low carb taco soup.
Neither of those ingredients will be missed in this recipe I promise you that! It's truly all about the toppings when it comes to this easy keto taco soup.
Our favorite toppings are a dollop of sour cream, chopped ripe avocado, and cheese......yum yum yum! In place of the missing beans and corn, you've got some green bell pepper and onion which make a nice bite of texture along with some tomatoes.
While tomatoes may not technically be keto to you, in small amounts like in this delicious keto taco soup, it's needed as it flavors the rest of the ingredients like traditional taco soup and the macros are low enough to fit nicely into a ketogenic diet.
In a dutch oven or large pot, heat the oil, ghee or butter. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes on medium heat. Add the garlic and fry for a further 30 seconds.
Add the ground beef, breaking it up with a wooden spatula as it cooks, until browned (approximately 4 - 5 minutes). If desired, drain and discard the fat.
Add the homemade taco seasoning and chopped peppers and fry for 1 further minute.
Add the chopped tomatoes, puree and broth. Season with salt, optional cracked black pepper. Stir well.
Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 - 20 minutes until thick and flavorsome.
Adjust the seasoning to taste and top with avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, and cilantro. Top with optional jalapeños and low-carb tortilla chips.
There’s nothing quite as comforting as a good bowl of soup. If you like spicy food, add optional green chilies and some cayenne for a kick!
If you want to make this a cheesy keto taco soup, simply stir in some cream cheese or heavy cream at the very end of cooking time.
Enjoy this one-pot meal Keto Taco Soup that is fuss-free and ridiculously easy to make and packed to the brim with incredible flavor.
More Low Carb Soup Recipes
Low Carb Keto Taco Soup Recipe
Best Healthy Low Carb Keto Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or ghee or butter)
- 1 small onion (70g), finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lb ground beef (453g)
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning (use seasonings in my Taco Zucchini Boats)
- ½ medium red pepper (60g), diced small
- ½ medium yellow pepper (60g), diced small
- ½ medium green pepper (60g), diced small
- 1 can diced tomatoes (400g)
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree or tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth (or chicken broth, bone broth or beef stock)
- ½ teaspoon salt (½-1 teaspoon salt depending on if there is salt in your taco seasoning)
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper Optional
To Serve (Optional):
- 1 avocado diced
- 4 tablespoon sour cream
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese (or Mexican shredded cheese)
- 3 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 jalapeno’s chopped
- low-carb tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon canned green chile
- In a dutch oven or non stick soup pan, heat the oil, ghee or butter. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes on medium heat. Add the garlic and fry for a further 30 seconds.
- Add the ground beef, breaking it up with a wooden spatula as it cooks, until browned (approximately 4 - 5 minutes). If desired, drain and discard the fat.
- Add the taco seasoning and chopped peppers and fry for 1 further minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, puree and broth. Season with salt, optional cracked black pepper. Stir well.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 - 20 minutes until thick and flavorful.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste and top with avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, and cilantro. Top with optional jalapeños and low-carb tortilla chips.
- Storage: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge or freeze for 3 months.