This delicious Keto White Chicken Chili can be made in the Instant Pot in 20 minutes or slow cook if your prefer. Perfect for any night of the week!
WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
This keto one-pot white chicken chili takes just 10 minutes to prep and only 20 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot and is the perfect bowl of comfort on any night of the week! This stores well in the fridge for up to 3 days or freezer for 2 months so you can make a big batch, put in Tupperware and freeze for when you don’t have time to cook.
Serve with cauliflower rice or low-carb vegetables, like broccoli, cauliflower, or spinach. Add right to the Instant pot and make it more into a chicken chili soup. Feel free to customize it and make it your own. This is a meal everyone in the family will enjoy, especially when they can add all their favorite toppings, like avocado, cheese, sour cream, or fresh cilantro!
INSTANT POT OR SLOW COOKER
I get it. Maybe you just haven't gotten on board with the purchase of an Instant Pot. But honestly, if you like meals that can be enjoyed with fresh or frozen meat in under an hour, the Instant Pot is kitchen equipment worth the investment. Of course I love my slow cooker, but there are just some days you have all the intentions to get it done in the morning and it just doesn't happen. Your Instant Pot is to the rescue. You can make this white chicken chili in either the slow cooker or Instant Pot. You can also make my delicious short ribs in either if you have my cookbook, Naturally Keto, I gave directions for both. The Instant Pot will save you time and is worth every penny in my opinion!
KETO CHILI WITHOUT BEANS?
Is chili a chili if it doesn't include beans? Why yes, it most certainly is. In fact, there are no beans in a real chili, according to Texans. You will find chunks of beef in a spicy red sauce that contains chiles. Chili is actually short hand for "chile con carne" which translates to chili peppers with meat. So there you have it. No beans are actually in a true chili. If you're looking for a red sauce, no bean, true chili, instead of this white chicken chili I'm sharing today, no worries, I've got you covered. Try my spicy No Bean Chili with some delicious, keto "corn" bread! The toppings is what makes a delicious chili in my opinion! See below for all our favorite chili toppings!
CAN YOU SWAP CHICKEN BREASTS WITH CHICKEN THIGHS?
Absolutely! If you're really not a fan of chicken breasts, you can certainly swap them with boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you prefer. I will tell you though, don't fear that this recipe with chicken breasts will be dry!! It will not be, especially when using the Instant Pot. You will have awesome, tender chicken that shreds easily for this keto white chicken chili.
WHITE CHICKEN CHILI TOPPINGS
Monterey Jack Cheese- This cheese has a nice sharp flavor and would be perfect shredded over the top of your bowl of white chicken chili, but any Mexican style cheese would work.
Avocado- I can't think of anything more delicious than a perfectly ripe avocado that melts in your mouth like butter with each bite of spicy chicken chili.
Fresh Cilantro- Adding some fresh herbs like cilantro is a must with any chili. If you dislike cilantro, fresh parsley would also work well here.
Sour Cream- Smooth, and creamy and helps you handle the spice and heat in your chicken chili.
Jalapeños- For those who are more adventurous in the spice department, feel free to add some sliced jalapeños to your bowl.
MEAL PLAN MEMBERSHIP
Our membership is simple. You can subscribe for a month to try it out or you can subscribe for a yearly membership. Each Friday you will get a meal plan that comes to your email. You'll have that early in order to go food shopping before the meal plan begins on Sunday. You will be able to view and print the meal plan and the shopping list. If you don't like a meal, simply delete it and swap it with another meal you like. The shopping list will automatically adjust. It's the best software available out there for a customizable menu plan. Not many other low carb or keto meal plans allow you the option to remove, add, start with a blank menu and create your own if you so wish. Learn more here about our Keto, Low Carb and Intermittent Fasting Meal plans.
KETO INSTANT POT WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
Keto Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 2 tablespoons butter (or ghee) (or olive oil for dairy-free)
- 24 ounces chicken breasts boneless and skinless (or 670g)
- 2 ounces yellow onion (or 60g)
- 1.5 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flaked (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 4 ounces green chiles (1 - 4oz can chopped, mild)
- 1 small jalapeno
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2.5 ounces cream cheese (or 80g) (for dairy-free use ⅔ cup coconut milk to replace heavy cream and cream cheese)
- ¾ cup Monterey jack cheese shredded (or Mexican or cheddar cheese) (or 85g)
- 1 avocado cubed
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- sliced jalapenos
Instant Pot Instructions
- Place the instant pot on sauté mode (medium). Add the butter, ghee or olive oil. Once hot add the chicken breasts and sear for 2 - 3 minutes per side. Turn off sauté. Add the onion, cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika, optional cayenne, salt, pepper, green chiles, jalapeño, garlic, and broth. Stir to combine.
- Secure the lid on the instant pot and close the pressure valve. Press the “pressure cook” button and set the time to cook for 20 minutes at high pressure. Once the time is up, quick release the pressure.
- When the pressure has released, remove the lid and chicken breasts. Place chicken on a chopping board and shred the chicken with two forks.
- Switch the Instant Pot back to sauté mode, medium, and set the timer for 15 minutes allowing the broth to concentrate and reduce. Add the heavy cheese and cream cheese (or coconut milk for dairy-free) for the last 3 minutes, whisking it with a hand balloon whisk until combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Add the chicken back in and allow to warm through.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with desired toppings and cauli rice or veggies.
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add the butter, ghee or oil to a non stick frying pan. Sauté the chicken breasts (2 - 3 minutes per side) on a medium heat.
- Transfer (along with the pan juices) to a slow cooker. Add the onion, cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika, optional cayenne, salt, pepper, green chiles, jalapeño, garlic, and broth. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 3.5 hours.
- Remove the chicken and place on a chopping board. Shred between two forks. Add the heavy cream and cream cheese (or coconut milk for dairy-free) to the slow cooker, whisking to combine to the juices. Taste and season to your likeness. Add the chicken back to the slow cooker and cook for a further 20 - 30 minutes on low (or 10 minutes on high) until warmed through.
- Stir well. Ladle into bowls and serve with desired toppings and cauli rice or veggies.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days or freezer for 2 months