This creamy, cheesy low carb turnips au gratin will bring you all the comfort of potatoes au gratin with half the carbs!
WHAT IS AU GRATIN?
Au gratin means it's covered with breadcrumbs or grated cheese and browned. The most popular high carb favorite is potatoes au gratin. Obviously when you're eating low carb, white potatoes are not going to fit into your low carb food plan. But today my recipe will give you all the familiar flavors of a cheesy, baked au gratin with less carbs than using potatoes.
LOW CARB AU GRATIN
My low carb swap for replacing potatoes in this au gratin is turnips! It's the perfect low carb veggie to replicate the size of potatoes as well as the color, in an au gratin recipe. If you've never tried turnips I highly suggest this recipe! You will be a lover of a new vegetable with this low carb au gratin. My hubby is a huge fan of turnips and absolutely loved this recipe.
LOW CARB VEGETABLES TO REPLACE POTATOES
If you're a hater of turnips, no worries, you can make this same recipe using other low carb veggies instead. My first suggestion would be trying this with thinly sliced zucchini. I've used zucchini just like hasselback potatoes and it worked so well in my cheesy bacon Zucchini Hasselback recipe. Zucchini is much softer in texture and will not need to be baked as long as these turnips needed to get them soft so just be cautious of that. Another option would be radishes. Though they are not as large in size, using Daikon radish will be best to work with for this low carb au gratin recipe. I used delicious radish to replace potatoes in my Cream Of Chicken Soup and my family had no idea it was radish and they loved it!
30% OFF KETO LOW CARB MEAL PLANS
I can't think of a better time to get started on meal planning, especially if you've never tried it before! We are hoping you are ready to get started with out Keto or Low Carb meal plans and to make this even easier for you, we are giving a coupon for the new year! Use code NY2021at check out today off our monthly or yearly membership and you'll get 30% OFF! This offer ends at the end of January so act now!
You can choose from Three Meal Plan Options:
Low Carb Meal Plan includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks with 40 net grams of carbs or less per day.
Keto Meal Plan includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks with 20 net grams of carbs or less per day.
Intermittent Fasting Keto Meal Plan includes 2 meals per day plus one protein/fat rich snack daily with no more than 20 TOTAL carbs per day.
LOW CARB TURNIPS AU GRATIN
Low Carb Turnips Au Gratin
- 2.25 pounds turnips (about 6 medium)
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme divided
- 2.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 9 baking dish or 1.5 quart dish.
- Peel the turnips and slice thinly about an ⅛th of an inch or use a mandolin.
- Whisk together the cream, garlic, melted butter, salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon thyme.
- Layer one third of the turnip slices on the bottom of the dish. Pour one third of the cream mixture over the turnips. Sprinkle a half cup of mozzarella over that. Repeat this process for the second and third layers. You will have 1 cup of mozzarella remaining.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until turnips are soft. Remove cover, sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and bake 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling. Serve with remaining tablespoon of thyme.