Parmesan Tomato Basil Bake is the perfect recipe if you love tomatoes and have an abundance from your garden!
Using fresh tomatoes and basil and adding a few ingredients more create this wonderful topping that can be served over brown rice pasta or mixed in with hearty quinoa or even topped over fish!
This recipe provides a nice change to typical marinara sauce and uses up fresh tomatoes if you have a bunch from your garden.
Not only did I have an abundance of tomatoes that took forever to actually ripen, but my dad gave me a bagful from his garden. It was an overload so of course I’ve been finding ways to use them in new recipes for you. A little bit later than the summer when I hoped to post these new tomato recipes, but here they are nonetheless. Last week I stuffed them and gave you, Baked Cheesy Stuffed Tomato Basil Cups. Someone commented they tasted like a pizza without the crust, YUM!
Although the kiddies aren’t fans of tomatoes, my hubby and I enjoyed them and of course I brought a sample over to my Italian daddy who was thrilled to see what I’d done with his allotment to me.
Easy to make, comforting, hearty and without any meat makes this a perfect Meatless Monday dish as well!
A few Notes on the recipe:
- I haven’t used anything other than fresh tomatoes. Canned may be used but must been drained well or you’ll have a sloppy mess.
- I made my own breadcrumbs from Udi’s Gluten Free Whole Grain Flax bread. If you use prepared breadcrumbs that have seasonings you can remove the dried Italian seasonings in the recipe.
- If you’re not a fan of capers you can certainly leave them out.
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Parmesan Tomato Basil Bake
- 6 cups sliced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tablespoons dried Italian seasonings
- 1 cup fresh chopped basil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a bowl, combine tomatoes, capers, 1 tablespoon oil, garlic and salt and pepper.
Mix thoroughly until coated well.
Pour mixture into a 9 by 13 baking dish.
In another bowl combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan, Italian seasonings and basil.
Pour mixture evenly over the tomatoes.
Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over the topping.
Bake 30-35 minutes until nicely browned.
Serve over pasta, quinoa or even rice.