This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Sour Cream and Onion Cucumber Chips, light, low calorie, crispy, low carb and incredibly tasty!
When I think how far I’ve come with changing my lifestyle to a sugar free one, I never thought I’d also have to exclude potato chips.
And I didn’t for a long time.
My thought was always, “They don’t contain sugar so I can still eat them!” And I was adamant and determined to “enjoy” them very infrequently, without a problem.
Only at parties.
Only on special occasions.
Do you see where this might be going?
Since I was probably about the age of 12 my greatest weakness has always been the potato chip.
The grease. The salty bite. The comfort of it all.
I’ve been leading a sugar free life for 11 years now.
Yes it has changed over these years, revealing more and more things I need to remove in order to stay in control of my portions.
Chips and I have never had a balanced relationship. I can’t eat just a serving, so I’ve eliminated them and don’t miss potato chips in any way. Surprised? Don’t be. When I make substitutions like my Salt & Vinegar Zucchini Chips or my Homemade Ranch Zucchini Chips I can eat just a serving. They taste incredible and they don’t make feel the least bit guilty for enjoying them afterward.
THAT my friends is progress. That is a balanced relationship. That is how want to live my life.
When I thought about a new idea flavor for a healthy chip, my kids and I were in the kitchen cutting up some mini English cucumbers for our lunch. Ah-Hah moment! Why not make chips out of cucumbers instead of zucchini this time? I excitedly shared this with my children who all gave me a puzzled look of uncertainty.
My daughter says she even likes these cucumber chips BETTER than the Zucchini ones! The boys still favor the Salt & Vinegar Zucchini Chips but said these are a close second!
Either way, my kids are eating healthy chips and I love THAT!
Other Recipes you might enjoy:
- Salt & Vinegar Zucchini Chips
- Homemade Ranch Zucchini Chips
- Sweet & Salty Chickpeas
- Garlic Parmesan Chickpeas
- White Cheddar Cucumber Chips
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Sour Cream and Onion Cucumber Chips
- 4 cups thinly sliced English Cucumbers with skin (about 2 large)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons buttermilk powder or nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Swerve sweetener
- Coat sliced cucumber with olive oil and set aside.
- Whisk the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Lay the slices evenly onto the dehydrator shelves. Sprinkle dry mixture over the slices.
- Cover and dehydrate for 4- 6 hours.