This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
This Sugar-Free Coffee Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream is low carb, gluten free and guilt free!
One bite of this creamy coffee ice cream and you’d never know it was sugar free or low carb! In fact, I think it might easily convert someone over to the sugar free, low carb life style in just a single bite!
Father’s Day is coming up and every year I try to WOW my hubby with an awesome example of a sugar free and low carb dessert that tastes anything but healthy. He’s never been a fan for this way of life as much as I have. I’m always trying to get him to come over to my side and that means through his stomach of course.
When his tummy is happy, he is a happy man. I like to indulge him is desserts I don’t normally make, just to show him how much I care and appreciate the father and husband he is.
Sure ice cream at home sounds difficult and not worth the time, but I’m here to say, it’s worth it! And it’s not as troublesome as you’d think.
I’ve recently partnered with Horizon Organic to provide low sugar recipes for the family and since Father’s Day is less than a week ago, what better treat than ice cream to show my love how much I love him! Going the extra mile when it comes to treating him special, will show love more than even words can say. I know it means a lot to my hubby and he appreciates the time I take to make him something spectacular.
This recipe is spectacular!
Ice Cream is my hubby’s favorite dessert of all time and the flavors of something coffee inspired make him even more delirious with happiness. He’s not much of a chocolate fan, but I am, so I had to throw in a little just for me!
For a husband who’s plain stubborn when it comes to eating healthier and really prefers full sugar desserts, to say he thought this was one of the tastiest ice creams I’ve ever made and that it has no after taste and doesn’t taste “sugar-free’, means a heck of a LOT!
I also had a friend visiting after I had made this and she also is not a “sugar-free” eater, but I had her taste test as well. Super excited to report that she also said it didn’t taste “sugar-free”.
This Father’s Day, surprise your dad or hubby with this “better for him” coffee flavored frozen treat!
- Swerve sweetener is a a good choice to use since it comes in a confectioner’s style as opposed to other sugar free substitutes which are granulated. You can use another granulated sugar free sub of choice but it might end up being grainy in texture. You can also skip it and just increase the stevia.
- Swerve is also typically less sweet than other sugar free brands so I would suggest using half of the amount if using something other than Swerve.
- The 2.4 sugar grams are coming from the natural sugars within the cream and half and half used here.
- Use a food processor for the coffee beans and chocolate to make them finer in texture if you don’t prefer chunky bites in your ice cream.
- The vodka helps make homemade ice cream retain it’s creamy texture and not get so icy once frozen overnight, but it is optional.
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Sugar-Free Coffee Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup Horizon Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 cups Horizon Half & Half
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup confectioner's Swerve sweetener
- 1/2 tsp vanilla liquid stevia
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vodka optional
- 2 ounces coarsely chopped 85% dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp crushed coffee beans
- Whisk the first 4 ingredients together in a saucepan over medium low heat until simmering, but do not boil.
- In a bowl stir together the egg yolks, Swerve, stevia and salt.
- Pour a small amount of the cream mixture into the egg mixture to temper it then gradually add the remaining egg mixture into the sauce pan on the stove.
- Bring this to a boil, reduce to simmer, constantly stirring until mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon, 175 degrees F.
- Once thickened, pour into a clean bowl and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Once cooled, stir in vodka if using, then pour this into an ice cream machine and follow manufacturers instructions.
- I used my KitchenAid ice cream attachment and it took about 20 minutes for the texture of soft serve ice cream.
- When done, remove to a bowl and stir in chocolate and coffee beans. Pour into a container of choice and freeze for 3 hours or over night.
- Allow to sit on counter to soften for about an hour before serving.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.