Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
There's just something about mini foods that are irresistible. My kids love anything in a mini little package. Whenever they are at the market with me and happen to see mini muffins in a cute little package they want them. I never do buy them of course. Super expensive and loaded with preservatives and other ingredients I can't pronounce. So I decided to just take my blueberry banana bread recipe, omit the blueberries, add chocolate chips, and some cream cheese to make them super soft and delicious and they were VERY happy. If you skip the chips these babies are pretty good even without them and for 1 point plus you can eat at least 4 and feel pretty darn satisfied! There is no butter, oil or sugar in these, but you do have to watch the chocolate chips if you use them, many contain sugar. I find my grain sweetened ones at whole foods. Seriously how can you beat a moist and yummy mini muffin for 32 calories? You must try them and let me know what you think!
Nutrition Info with Chocolate Chips
Servings: 36* Calories: 61* Fat: 3g* Fiber: 1g* Carbs: 9g* Protein: 2g* Points+: 2*
Nutrition Info without Chocolate Chips
Servings: 36* Calories: 32* Fat: 1g* Fiber: 1g* Carbs: 5g* Protein: 1g* Points+: 1
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz cream cheese, light, softened
- 2 c. white whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp. flaxseed meal
- ½ c. applesauce, unsweetened
- ½ c. milk of choice ( I used 1%)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 6 packets stevia, powdered
- ½ tsp. salt
- optional: 1 c. chocolate chips (sugar free or grain sweetened or unsweetened carob chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray mini muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, flaxseed, stevia, and salt and mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla extract, applesauce, and milk. Add them to the mixer and combine well.
- Add cream cheese and banana's and mix until combined.
- If using chocolate chips, mix them in now.
- Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, pour the mixture into each cup. If you want more mini muffins, fill them ¾ of the way. If you want larger ones as I have made which only makes 3 dozen, fill them level to the top of the cup.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out pretty clean. Let them cool for a few minutes then finish cooling them on a wire rack.
- These can be frozen in a ziploc bag once cooled or an airtight container. Thaw them the night before you want them for breakfast or a snack.
I am exited to try this! Could I sub liquid English toffee stevia for the powdered stevia? It doesn't have a dropper, so I've got to measure it using drops or measuring spoons.
That sounds like a great idea Sandy!
Can this recipe be made with almond flour instead of wholewheat? I would like to make them low carb
I can't use almond flour because my youngest has a tree nut allergy so I can't say how it compares and works like whole what. I'd love to know if you try it though!
I've got these baking in the oven right now - they smell so good! Making half a batch without chocolate chips and half with them. Also added some cinnamon because, well....cinnamon makes everything better. 🙂 Can't wait to try them!
How much xylitol would I use? Or liquid stevia?
I'm not sure how much xylitol, I don't use it. If I were using liquid stevia I would probably use 2 teaspoons, might be just mildly sweet.
How can you call these sugar free!? Fruit contains sugar. While they may be free from refined sugar, free from sugar they are not.
Could I sub honey for the stevia? If so, how much should I use? Thanks so much. Can't wait to make these!
You could try a 1/2 cup.
Hi. I am excited to make these for my family. I just found your website and am working to make our lives sugar-free (especially mine). I bought a bag of the powered stevia (I've never used it before). How much of that should I use (in the place of 6 packets)? Thanks so much!
1 packet is equal to 1/2 teaspoon.
These look Great! I will be making them and adding my Xocai Healthy Chocolate! YUM.
[email protected] Mom's Meals
Chocolate- YUM! Banana- YUMMIER! Mini--TOO cute! My little monkey would love these! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week and see you again next Sunday!
Trader Joes Recipes
Yum!! I love banana muffins, and I can't wait to try this healthier version!
This looks super delicious! I'm just wondering, I'm allergic to dairy and have a milk alternative, but what could I use in place of the cream cheese??
The cream cheese is in place of oil and butter. I would try using a small amount of coconut oil melted, maybe 4 tbsp is all. Or leave it out all together. In my bluebeberry banana bread loaf recipe I do not use any cream cheese at all.
If I made these full size muffins how long do you think they should bake??Do you think this would also work as a loaf? We love the blueberry banana bread recipe you have but I am just about out of my fresh NJ frozen blueberries (froze 40 pounds back in the summer that I picked myself) My boys would love the chocolate chips!
Thanks Heather for bringing that up! I did make a loaf before the muffins and the loaf took about an hour and 15 minutes to bake. I don't think regular sized muffins would take much longer than 30 minutes.
Thanks! Now I need to stop eating all of our bananas so I can have three for this recipe! 🙂
Looks yummy!! I would like blueberry better. I am not a huge fan of chocolate chips. I like chocolate, but for some reason not the chips.