THIS.PIE.IS.GOOOOOOOOD!!!! I will say it again! This pie is soooooo goooood!
Healthy, low in calorie, with a whole wheat crust AND picky kids and hubby approved! It is filled with an enormous amount of yummy apples but no added sugar! AH-MAZING I tell ya!
Use any pie crust recipe you like but I used my recipe for Healthier Whole Wheat Pie Crust and figured the calories based on that using nutritiondata.com.
Certainly is easier to buy a crust but certainly won’t taste the same as making this one.
Now I’m not gonna lie to you…..this recipe takes work and time especially making the homemade crust, but it is totally worth it. In fact because it takes alot of time, I make it ONLY once a year, when it’s apple picking season here in RI. My family looks forward to it so much since they rarely get apple pie.
Perfect pie for Thanksgiving.
I can tell you this; if you make it to serve at your Thanksgiving table, the family will never notice it isn’t made with white flour or white sugar, NEVER. It .Is.that.good. They will want seconds!
Look at those layers!!!
Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my computer screen.
I ate every bite and ate it without guilt. Wait till you see the nutrition info!
According to LiveStrong.com, a typical slice of apple pie is around 400 calories with 58 carbs and 19 grams of fat! Mine is much much improved!
- Serves: 12
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 251
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 254mg
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Pour 1 tablespoon of lemon juice over sliced apples and toss.
- In a small bowl mix cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and stevia.
- Toss over apples and carefully mix.
- In a large Dutch oven or pot place 6 cups of the sliced apples and cook over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the rest of the sliced apples.
- Add the whole wheat pastry flour to the apples and stir to combine.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Position rack on the lower third of oven and preheat to 425 degrees.
- Add apples into prepared bottom pie crust, then cover apples with top crust. Brush top crust with egg white, sprinkle with cinnamon if desired and bake 40 minutes or until browned.
- Let rest 20 minutes before slicing.
Other Apple recipes you might like: