This chocolate pie crust is nut free, grain free, low carb and sugar free! It’s the most perfect allergy friendly pie crust!
It certainly won’t win any awards for beauty, but the taste is out of this world! Not to mention it’s an allergy friendly delight! Made with sunflower seeds and no flours or nuts, this recipe can easily be made vegan as well by replacing the butter used in the recipe and using a flax egg.
I’ve been working on a low carb pie crust that’s nut free for ages, literally. My youngest has a tree nut allergy as well as peanut allergy and my oldest has a peanut and soy allergy. Making everything is twice as hard. Making it low carb for me, even harder. Most often you see low carb recipes using almond flour or coconut flour, the first I can’t use, the second is difficult to work with.
Oh I’ve made a few coconut flour recipes like my Cream filled Vanilla Coconut Cupcakes, Chocolate Coconut Mounds Pie, Coconut Whipped Cream and many others, but my youngest just isn’t even a big fan of coconut flavor. Great right? So that’s what I’m dealing with and this crust has given me angst for years!
I can finally tell you with everything in my being, this is a winning pie crust. No rolling is needed, just food processor and spreading into a pie plate. It’s slightly chewy, got some flakiness going on and just the slightest bit sweet. If you’re a momma with allergies in your household this pie crust is will be a Godsend. Fill it with pudding, make a fruit filled pie, try my Peanut Butter Cheesecake Mousse filling for this, anything you can think of and it will work nicely, except maybe savory, that wouldn’t work as it is chocolate right?
- I’ve tried just making sunflower seed flour myself in a food processor and inevitably it does not come out as fine as purchasing the flour from Amazon. If you don’t mind a few sunflower seeds within the crust, just process the seeds yourself, but just know the crust will be a bit chewier than using already prepared flour.
- If you do use sunflower seeds and make the flour yourself make sure to buy, unsalted, raw sunflower seeds.
- If you have no nut allergies you could simply substitute the sunflower seed flour for almond flour.
- Try this crust with my Chocolate Pecan Pie recipe!
- Serves: 12
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 61
- Fat: 2.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 4.8g
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 30mg
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- 2 cups sunflower seed flour (or use almond if no nut allergies)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup Swerve or erythritol or 1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add all ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Grease a 9 inch pie pl;ate and press mixture into pan as evenly as possible.
- Use a fork and make holes into the bottom.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Cool completely before adding filling.
The Sugar-Free Mom Cookbook has been Released!! Hitting shelves in days and Amazon is selling it at a discount right now!