A classic Italian puttanesca sauce is quite possibly the most delicious sauce you will ever have! 🙂
Typically it’s quite tangy, salty and can be as spicy as you want it to be. Traditional ingredients MUST have tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, capers and olives. From there you can add your own spin on it.
I’m full blooded Italian and grew up eating it with anchovies, which I promise you won’t even notice are in there, and definitely some heat and spice. But in my recipe I made the anchovies and red pepper optional and added a few extra ingredients of my own!
This recipe is an adaption from my Sugar-Free Tomato, Artichoke, Kalamata Olive sauce and needed some updated photos as well.
You can seriously just add this sauce to anything! Toss it with spaghetti and enjoy it just like that. Top in on fish or chicken and it’s a hearty, filling meal! It’s perfect for a quick weeknight meal or a meatless Monday meal.
This above is over my left overs from my chicken piccata recipe and it was divine!
Classic Italian Puttanesca Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 shallot sliced
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives pitted, sliced
- 1/4 cup green pimento olives slices
- 1 cup black olives drained, sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers drained
- 1 cup marinated artichokes drained, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasonings
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: crushed red pepper flakes canned anchovies, (undrained, chopped)
- Toppings: fresh parsley grated Parmesan cheese.
Heat oil in a saute pan over medium high heat and add shallots and garlic.
Once slightly browned, add all other ingredients to the pan.
Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Makes 4 cups.
Recipe NotesWeight Watchers PointsPlus: 3*