Creamy Cream-less Broccoli Soup is low carb, dairy free, naturally gluten free and a perfect meatless recipe for those who observe Lent.
Green themed week continues! This week I wanted to bring you green recipes leading up to St. Patrick's day and today is a hearty, but meatless dish that is satisfying and creamy without any cream added. With a special ingredient that not only adds to the green color, but makes it super creamy as well. You may have used it in green smoothies before or only on a salad, but adding it this soup brings it from ordinary to spectacular!
Yes it is delicious, yes it is very green!
Often I've seen and I'm sure you've seen popular broccoli soup with tons of cheddar cheese in it. Now I'm a cheese loving girl myself, but I also like to take traditional recipes and change them up a bit. So this is my version of a broccoli soup with added greens and a hint of lemon that will linger on your taste buds with each spoonful. Totally captivating and interesting. You don't always need cheese to make a creamy soup. 🙂
In fact my hubby who actually hates smooth soups without meat or chunks of veggies, thought the taste was undeniably good and was surprised that he was won over by a non meat, chunky soup!
You can use whichever oil you prefer to sauté the onion.
- I did not need any salt at all so taste before adding any.
- If you don't have an immersion blender simply transfer half the soup to a blender, cover only 3 corners of blender cover to allow steam to release. Cover with a clean towel to avoid splattering and blend until desired consistency. Transfer back to pot once blended.
Creamy Creamless Broccoli Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 4 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- optional toppings: fresh parsley pine nuts, sour cream
- Heat oil and cook onion and garlic on medium high heat until onion is tender and translucent.
- Add broccoli and broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add spinach to pot.
- Cut avocado in half, remove pit then pour lemon juice over avocado then mash and add to pot.
- Use an immersion blender to blend soup until smooth or to your liking.