This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
You’ve probably seen a million and one recipes for zucchini bread right? Many of them may certainly be healthy using whole grains as opposed to refined flours, some may be gluten free, but very few are without some sort of sugar.
This one is made completely with stevia and no other added sugars besides the natural sweetness that comes form unsweetened applesauce and banana.
and it. rocks.
And you will be shocked that you won’t notice many green shredded pieces of zucchini in there either. Why not you may ask yourself? Because I have children who at the first notice of the color green in a baked good will surely turn their noses at it and never even try it. So I secretly not only shredded the zucchini, but then completely obliterated it into a green mash similar to applesauce.
Yep.yep. I. did. and. they.ate.it.
Here it is. 2 cups of shredded zucchini all mashed up!
And here is the finished product! Total yumminess and healthy to boot! I adapted my fabulous Blueberry Banana Bread to create this recipe with MANY trials and errors. Zucchini can be tricky to work with in a baked good especially removing egg yolks and sugar. But it’s all worth it with this incredible finished product.
You can not tell this is zucchini bread and you certainly shouldn’t call it that if you have picky kids like mine. It’s just chocolate bread to them. I made this baby before we left for Cape Cod for a few days and thought it would be the perfect easy breakfast. Just heat up in the toaster or eat with some yogurt. They devoured it, even the picky hubby loved it!
If you look really closely at the picture below you can see a tiny bit of green, but hey who inspects chocolate that closely anyway! If my family will eat it yours will too!
- If you don’t have white whole wheat you could use whole wheat pastry flour, both will produce a nice soft texture. Typical whole wheat flour is often dense so just be aware of that if that is what you choose to use.
- I do believe you could easily substitute the white whole wheat flour for gluten free flour if needed. I would suggest adding xanthan gum if the gluten free flour blend does not include it.
- If you don’t have chocolate stevia in liquid form you could use 2 tablespoons of powdered stevia or a 1/2 cup of honey.
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted, cooled or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons [url href=”http://iherb.com/p/8717?at=0&rcode=yaj035″ target=”_blank”]chocolate liquid stevia[/url] or vanilla will work
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, grain sweetened or [url:2]make your own
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place your grated zucchini in a food processor and process until mashed and smooth.
- Pour the zucchini in a bowl and combine the rest of the wet ingredients with the zucchini.
- Add the mashed banana and stir well.
- In another bowl stir together all the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet with the dry and then add the chocolate chips.
- Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes then using a butter knife loosen the edges of the bread. Carefully flip the bread out of the loaf pan and onto a serving plate.
Other recipes you might like:
- Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Banana Bread: No Sugar Added from SFM
- Zucchini Apple Spice Loaf from Healthy Pursuit
- Blueberry Banana Bread: No Sugar Added from SFM