A favorite of children everywhere is this Shirley Temple non alcoholic drink. Who knows really if the actress Shirley Temple actually drank this or created it, but one fact remains, it has stayed a popular drink for many many years!
My kids love this when allowed to get one on occasion at a restaurant. Since we don't often go out to it, it's typically a few times a year they have one. But, I of course, dislike the amount of sugar in these drinks and set out to make my own for my kids.
My first attempt tasted great and 2 out of 3 kiddies liked it, but the color was just not there. So the second attempt I added a few tablespoons of Pom juice and it did the trick. After all, grenadine syrup is just Pomegranate juice with loads of high fructose corn syrup in it. So buying the real 100% juice made this recipe a winner with all 3 kids in my house and me!
Typically a Shirley Temple drink can have as much as 45-55 grams of sugar according to the My Fitness Pal site. This one has only 10!! Happy dance right?!!
I found the Cherry Juice at Trader Joe's but I believe you could find it anywhere, just be sure to check it's 100% real juice and no added sugars are in it.
Trader Joe's had a huge bottle of Pomegranate juice so I decided to wait and see if I could find a smaller bottle and I did.
I found the Pom juice and my local Stop & Shop market.
- If you can't find the pomegranate seltzer, you can really use whatever flavor seltzer you like or just plain seltzer is fine too.
- If you don't have berry flavored stevia, try using lemon or plain.
- If you can't find pomegranate juice, just the cherry juice and stevia should be enough to still make it taste like a shirley temple.
Healthier Low Sugar Shirley Temples
- 3 cups Pomegranate Lime Seltzer water
- 1 cup cherry juice no added sugars
- 4 tablespoons pomegranate juice no added sugars
- 4 droppers ¾ full berry liquid stevia
- 8 Fresh Cherries
- In a pitcher stir together all ingredients except cherries.
- Refrigerate pitcher if ingredients are not cold when mixed.
- To four glasses, add 2 cherries each, then pour mixture into glasses.
- Best served chilled.
- Makes 4 cups.
Other beverages you might like: