This Keto Spicy Shrimp Taco recipe is a quick low carb meal that can be made in under 30 minutes! It's fast, tasty, and a big hit with the whole family, keto or not!
These are the tastiest shrimp tacos ever! If you’re a taco fan, these super easy Low-Carb Keto Spicy Shrimp Tacos will blow your mind! So simple and yet so delicious. Made with simple spices in a light and fresh garlic, cilantro yogurt sauce, they’re healthy and low in carbs. This meal makes for a speedy lunch or lighter keto low-carb dinner.
LOWER FAT KETO
The biggest controversy with a ketogenic diet has always been in the dietary fat amount one should consume for weight loss. Some experts believe high fat is best, anywhere from 70-80% daily. Others believe it's best to use fat as a lever and adjust to anywhere from 50-70% depending on your goals and if you have any underlying conditions or autoimmune disease.
In my experience before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I was gaining weight on a keto diet of 70% fat. I was not able to lose weight until I lowered my dietary fat intake and increased my protein intake. Again, everyone is different and changing things that are not working for you is the key.
In order to see weight loss, I reduced to 60% dietary fat and started incorporating intermittent fasting as well as getting properly diagnosed and on medication to treat my low functioning thyroid. How much fat you should eat to lose weight on a ketogenic diet is one that will have to be determined as you follow the basic keto macros and see what works for you.
I was so encouraged that I wasn't broken when it came to weight loss and inspired to share this with others that I created a 4 week Stall Buster Keto course for those struggling to lose weight on the traditional keto macros or those just stuck in their weight loss.
Lowering the fat from a traditional ketogenic approach just means you need a little less to see weight loss. Choosing proteins like shrimp, crab, other shell fish, seafood and leaner cuts of beef and poultry, is a great way to lower the fat just a little, but still be in nutritional ketosis to lose weight.
WHAT OTHER FISH BESIDES SHRIMP?
I think you could use any fish you enjoy for these fish tacos, but the beauty of this recipe is how quickly the shrimp cooks up making it a fast and easy meal. Other ideas would be these salmon nuggets or just baking some salmon with the spices in this recipe.
OTHER SLAW RECIPE OPTIONS
The slaw recipe with our keto spicy shrimp includes a plain Greek yogurt but that could easily be swapped with a dairy free yogurt if needed or just mayonnaise. If you aren't really into creamy slaw, I've got two other fantastic keto slaw recipes you might enjoy! Try my Avocado Coleslaw or my Italian Style Coleslaw made with just spices and vinegar!
CAN I SWAP THE ALMOND FLOUR TORTILLAS?
I've got plenty of keto tortilla recipes you might enjoy if you're just not into almond flour or have a tree nut allergy. These tortillas can be swapped with myFor Real Nut Free Keto Tortillas or my Cauliflower Tortillas.
If you don't feel like making tortillas at all, you can use some romaine leaves as boats or Bibb lettuce to use as cups or even iceberg to use as a wrap!
LOW CARB KETO MEAL PLANS
You can choose from Three Meal Plan Options:
Low Carb Meal Plan includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks with 40 net grams of carbs or less per day.
Keto Meal Plan includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks with 20 net grams of carbs or less per day.
Intermittent Fasting Keto Meal Plan includes 2 meals per day plus one protein/fat rich snack daily with no more than 20 TOTAL carbs per day.
LOW CARB KETO SPICY SHRIMP TACOS
Low-Carb Keto Spicy Shrimp Tacos
Garlic Cilantro Yogurt
- 2 cups white cabbage shredded (or 200g)
- 2 medium green onions chopped (or 30g)
- 10 grams cilantro chopped
- 1 avocado fresh, diced (or 150g) (optional)
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese grated (or 28g) (optional)
- lime wedges (optional)
- Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl. Add the spices and seasoning (chili, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper). If you have time, allow to marinade for 1 hour or overnight. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tortillas as per my recipe. Click here for recipe.
Garlic Cilantro Yogurt and Slaw
- First prepare the garlic cilantro yogurt by adding all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Season to taste. Add the shredded cabbage, green onion and cilantro to the yogurt and toss to combine.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over a medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook for about 2 mins. Add 1 tablespoon of water to loosen into a bit of a sauce and fry until cooked through, about another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add some slaw to the tortillas, top with shrimp, optional avocado, cheese and highly recommended squeeze of lime!
- Best fresh but the tacos can be made in advance and stored in the fridge for two days or frozen.