This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Mini Low Carb Shepherd’s Pot Pie made in a muffin pan for perfectly portioned servings!
With a fabulously flaky crust, filled with a scrumptious ground beef filling and topped with a buttery mashed cauliflower these little shepherd’s pot pies will be a complete meal. Easy to make ahead and heat up for easy lunches as well!
Once I made my low carb coconut flour pie crust, I’ve been creating recipes all around it. It’s such an amazing crust that really resembles a traditional white flour pie crust.
You could easily make this recipe in a standard pie plate and forgo having a bottom crust all together if you’re just feeling a bit lazy.
Some days I get that way as well, but the little extra effort for the bottom crust is worth every delicious bite when you’re family doesn’t complain about eating cauliflower.
I’ve also enjoyed these left over for lunch the next day. I simply just reheat in the microwave for about a minute. You could just reheat in a toaster oven as well for about 5-8 minutes.
One is sufficient with a side salad but at just 4 crabs per serving, you could enjoy more than one if you so desire.
My hubby and kids really loved these. The oldest teen wasn’t crazy about the cauliflower, he’d rather have mashed potato, but otherwise he ate these anyway. For a 15 year old who’s eating me out of the house and who prefers not to cook anything himself, he shouldn’t be complaining one bit.
Here’s my little video to show how easy these are!
- You can use any pie dough you want, but the nutrition info is calculated with my coconut flour pie crust.
- You can switch out ground beef for ground turkey or chicken if you like.
- I have a brand new non stick muffin pan, and once cooled for about 15 minutes, these popped right out using a knife to loosen around the edges. If you don’t have a new muffin pan, try using silicone muffin cups so these won’t stick.
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Mini Low Carb Shepherd's Pot Pie
- Low Carb Coconut Flour Pie Crust
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups pureed cauliflower I steamed 1 small head, florets were about 4 cups total
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- optional topping: fresh chopped parsley and dried paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Once your pie dough is ready, separate it into 12 balls.
- Spread the dough with fingers on the bottom and half way up sides of each cup of 12 capacity muffin pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- While crust is baking, make filling by heating the oil, garlic and onion in a skillet until onion is softened.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned.
- Stir in the broth, tomato paste, vinegar and salt and pepper.
- Once the pie crust is done, evenly add the meat mixture into each muffin cup.
- Top each evenly with shredded cheddar.
- Before piping the pureed cauliflower onto each muffin cup, stir the mashed cauliflower with salt, pepper and butter. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Add mashed cauliflower to a piping bag and pipe over each muffin.
- Bake for 5 more minutes to melt the cheddar cheese.
- You can also broil for 2-3 minutes, watching carefully, just to brown the mashed cauliflower a bit.
- Sprinkle over optional toppings before serving if desired.
Net Carbs: 4g per serving