This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Stuffed Baby Bella Mushrooms with Philly Cheesesteak filling is a healthier twist on the typical cheesesteak sandwich!
Finger Foods Finger Foods Fingers foods!!! That’s what it’s all about at a party where you just want to mingle and not have to sit down right? Finger foods let you grab a few on a plate and walk around chatting to your hearts content, never needing a chair or a table. Appetizers like these are what parties are all about and this one is sure to please.
Taking my love for cheese and adding in some sirloin steak for an improvised Philly Cheese-steak sandwich without a roll is what this recipe is all about. Trying to keep the carbs low on my end but not sacrificing flavor or taste for the hubby and family. Even the kids who hate mushrooms tried some!
I really wanted to chop some parsley on these babies to add some color contrast but the hubby was strictly against this and would have refused to eat them saying, “Parsley is NOT on a Philly Cheesesteak and I want no part of it.”
so it’s just the cheese and some steak and red pepper and onions. I’m not a fan of green pepper but you can use that if you prefer.
Since the mushrooms will vary from small to large in packages, filling them will vary as well. I just mounded them as high as I could and squished them in a best I could.
I think sloppy is the way to go. We aren’t looking for a pretty appetizer here, but a fantastically tasty, but messy, easy, fun finger food.
Other Game Day or Party foods you might enjoy:
- Oven Fried Salt & Vinegar Chicken Wings
- Crock Pot Sugar-Free BBQ Baby Back Ribs
- Salt & Vinegar Zucchini Chips
- Sugar-Free Bourbon Candied Pecans
- Mini Bunless Cheeseburger Bites
- Cheddar Cauliflower Bacon Bites
Remember to subscribe to the Sugar Free Mom Newsletter for free and receive fresh recipe notifications delivered into your inbox!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sugarfreemom on instagram for a chance to be featured! Follow Sugar Free Mom on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for all of the latest content, recipes and updates.
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper divided
- 1 pound beef sirloin shaved or thinly sliced against the grain
- 4 ounces provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and discard.
- Place mushrooms on a foiled lined or greased baby sheet.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper on both sides.
- Bake for 15 minutes and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter and cook pepper and onions until tender.
- Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet you used for the veggies, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and cook the meat to your preference.
- Add the provolone cheese and stir until completely melted.
- Add back the veggies.
- Spoon mixture into the mushrooms, top with more cheese if you like.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are warm again and cheese is melted well.